Windows not working - need Half Life 2 and Steam :(

-Demosthenes-

I reinstalled windows (as needs to be done at least once a year) on my gaming machine (or my Half Life 2 machine :D) because PC games need windows, I think. Anyway it's saying that it isn't a genuene copy of windows and won't let me update. What can cause this and how can I fix it? I'm calling microsoft after I try one more re-install and try to update again (only thing I can think of :P). If I can't get it to work, people have told me that Red Hat and Suse will play PC games, is it hard to do that? Can I use wine to play them in Ubuntu and have all the mods and stuff work?

There are many manual fixes (and one of these sites has a download which does it automatically):

http://blog.mypapit.net/2006/05/windows-genuine-advantage-tattoo-cracks.html

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/technology-and-science/microsoft-genuine-advantage-cracked.asp

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/04/26/disable-and-remove-windows-genuine-advantage-notifications-nag-screen/

[edit] ahh, one sec, you said it can't update. Those links above are for something slightly different. They are for if there's a little popup box which says "This is not genuine..." erm, I know how to fix your problem, gimme a sec to find it...

[edit2]

OK, here it is (it was on one of those sites above):

When you arrive Windows Update screen when it asks you to choose Express or Custom, copy and paste the following JavaScript to the Address Bar of your browser.

javascript:void(window.g_sDisableW­GACheck='all')

Or, if you want some sort of notification that the WGA check has been disabled, you can use the following JavaScript. Again, copy and paste it to the Address Bar.

javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all');void(alert('WGA Check disabled.\n\nContinue…'))

With the above JavaScript, there will be a prompt to notify you “WGA Check disabled”. To make thing easier, you can bookmark or add to favorites the JavaScript so that next time when needed, you just only need to click on the bookmark or favorite.

Basically what you do is start to run the update. When you get that screen which says "Custom" or "Express" go to the address bar and replace all of the current address with:

javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all');void(alert('WGA Check disabled.\n\nContinue…'))

that's all one line and should all go into the address box. Press enter. A little confirmation box will pop up and then you can chose Custom or Express.

5614, your going to hate me :P but when I re-installed it updated. But we have another windows that won't work on any other pc than mine (which has linux) and is useless... now I can put it on somehting and use it (if one can find a use for windows :D).

5614, your going to hate me :P but when I re-installed it updated. But we have another windows that won't work on any other pc than mine (which has linux) and is useless... now I can put it on somehting and use it (if one can find a use for windows :D).
:confused: what?! I don't get it.

You wanted it to update, so you could play...

I read somewhere that this Windows Genuine Advance things classes 1 in 5 (20%) of legal copies as illegal. Sounds useless program to me.

My Grandpa's legal version was classified as "illegal". I fixed it yesterday. I didn't bother with updating because it wanted to get a Genuine download and I didn't have time. I suspect I would have to download that. Then use the javascript posted in the previous post to get updates. And then re-removed the crap Genuine tool.

Anyway, I'm confused as to what you've done and if you still have a problem or not...

Sorry, I re-installed windows, and when I tried to update GA found my copy of windows legitamite. So it updated fine and nothing went wrong, all I did was re-install. I don't know what was different about this time... but it's updating now.

And the second part, I actually have another copy of windows that I bought with a computer. I've since put Linux on that computer. I wanted to put it on a seperate computer (not the one it came with), but it won't even let me activate windows with the key it came with. So I can update with your trick, but in 30 days windows stops working. A blessing in disguise :P

I wanted to put it on a seperate computer (not the one it came with), but it won't even let me activate windows with the key it came with. So I can update with your trick, but in 30 days windows stops working.

OK. If you format that computer (mentioned in the quote) and instal windows then it should work ie. let you activate it. I don't know why you can't.

And why will it stop working in 30 days?

It's a different computer than the one I originially bought windows before, so it has been on another computer for a year, and I wanted to move it to another computer. Windows had a problem with this. You have to "activate" windows within 30 days, by typing in you cd key. If they see that key already registered to another set of hardware... then you can't activate, and it will self-destruct in 30 days.

This sucks because sometimes people just change some of their hardware (like new hard drive, etc.) and when they re-install windows again their key won't activate windows :P

Ubuntu ships you cds for free...

It's a different computer than the one I originially bought windows before' date=' so it has been on another computer for a year, and I wanted to move it to another computer. Windows had a problem with this. You have to "activate" windows within 30 days, by typing in you cd key. If they see that key already registered to another set of hardware... then you can't activate, and it will self-destruct in 30 days.

This sucks because sometimes people just change some of their hardware (like new hard drive, etc.) and when they re-install windows again their key won't activate windows :P[/quote']

If you phone up MS and explain to them they will allow you to register it on differnt hardware...

They said I could take the computer to the place I bought it and get them to install the windows on it, they'll know how to do it. The place I bought it from says, because there was a misunderstanding (they told my mother we could put windows on any computer with it :P), they'd do it for $25.

I still have windows on one computer, I guess it's enough. Ubuntu is cooler anyway.