Appeal to the masses.

GutZ

I have noticed that when it come down to entertainment and art, making a good movie is pretty much based on what the majority of people want. I am not saying that it's a bad thing, but I find there are alot of interesting ideas that never get out there.

Take the movie Matrix, to me that movie was medicore. The concept of simulated life could of been far more interesting if it didn't focus on the special effects.

There are existing movies out there that do really bad popularity wise but I find really good. Like take for example "The Professional". It's mainly action but the relationship in it was very interesting. Lord of War I hear did pretty bad too, but I found it very good.

It gives no incentive for film makers to make a well thought out, interesting type of film. Now all we have are like movies that require hardly any thought, and are filled with cheap effects.

When was the last time you've seen a dark film, or even dark comedy film? Those are great. I miss them :(

I have noticed that when it come down to entertainment and art' date=' making a good movie is pretty much based on what the majority of people want. I am not saying that it's a bad thing, but I find there are alot of interesting ideas that never get out there.

Take the movie Matrix, to me that movie was medicore. The concept of simulated life could of been far more interesting if it didn't focus on the special effects.

There are existing movies out there that do really bad popularity wise but I find really good. Like take for example "The Professional". It's mainly action but the relationship in it was very interesting. Lord of War I hear did pretty bad too, but I found it very good.

It gives no incentive for film makers to make a well thought out, interesting type of film. Now all we have are like movies that require hardly any thought, and are filled with cheap effects.

When was the last time you've seen a dark film, or even dark comedy film? Those are great. I miss them :([/quote']

It's true. Most people these days just want to see mindless explosion then something that makes you think.

The Matrix, in my opinion, is the worse, because how they marketed the movie by lying to people. The way the made the film, is that anyone who 'understood' the movie was really smart. In truth, the concept was easy to understand (in the first movie... I have no idea where the plot went after that), but self-proclaimed nerds, who really know nothing about science, who want to pretend that they're smart, talk about the Matrix, like they are special because they 'got' the concept.

You should watch more small independent films then, they tend to have a broader range of themes.

Remember that films are much more limited in the amount of time they have to tell a story compared to a novel, so the stories tend to be much simpler.

Why the surprise?

You're talking about a general populace that would rather spend their time watching "Big Brother" or similar mindless drivel than read a book or perhaps exercise the occasional brain cell.

Maybe they're afraid it'll make them go blind.;)

If I suggested it wasjust for the pusuit of profit, would that be too simplistic and cynical? I think not. Sometimes the producers guess the mindset of the mass (profitable) of consumers wrongly, (no tears from me).

Appealing to the masses is not about making the most people happy, it's about making the fewest people upset. If you watch a movie and you tell someone who asks about it, "Yeah, it was OK", then word-of-mouth is taken care of and marketing will ensure that the budget and ROI are covered. This also works with national chains in virtually every industry.

Skye is right, check out smaller independent films, ones that don't have to answer to a major studio for more than 50% of their backing. When the majors make a movie, they run everything through focus groups and end up with something nobody hates. They also spread the liability out among several production groups (and the credits keep getting longer). When you're dealing with tens and hundreds of millions of dollars, the majors don't want to take chances (we've all heard about the big gamble Disney took with Johnny Depp as Captain Jack).

Indies usually fly on their own merit, the quality of the writing, the performances, the vision of the director. You'll find some that help you catch up on sleep but you'll also find some great stuff. It's usually Indies that pave the way with experimental ideas that become successful so the majors can build on the success without taking too many risks.

what a movie Really needs is an extraordinarily large Gravimetric Field.

That would certainly pull in the Masses :)

Exactly!

*looks up Gravimetric Field*

:confused:

I guess I am just irked about how everything is done for profit now a days. If the trend follows, art and expression will be cheapen down to a level that would make this world a very boring place.

like 50 years from now.

Jaw 105

People: "Should be interesting! probably better then all 104 of the others!"

I guess I just feel like ranting.

I guess I am just irked about how everything is done for profit now a days. If the trend follows, art and expression will be cheapen down to a level that would make this world a very boring place.
You're not looking at this the right way. Their are now and always will be people looking for profit who will be trying to reach that part of the market which feels the way you do. Find the smaller studios who are NOT catering to the majority market. They are putting out some pretty great stuff. Don't blame the quest for profit; a free market economy ensures that there will be people looking to make and sell you just what you really want.

I'm going to see Clerks II on Friday. I hope it is as great as the first one was.

You're not looking at this the right way. Their are now and always will be people looking for profit who will be trying to reach that part of the market which feels the way you do. Find the smaller studios who are NOT catering to the majority market. They are putting out some pretty great stuff. Don't blame the quest for profit; a free market economy ensures that there will be people looking to make and sell you just what you really want.

I'm going to see Clerks II on Friday. I hope it is as great as the first one was.

Fine! :P but only because you and only you told me too.

I've always wanted to make a movie myself. I even have an idea, it would revolutionalize the world of film making too. I'm serious!

Also it's not so much that I am against free markets, it's more of what it turns people into. Soulless bastards in mercedes.

like 50 years from now.

Jaw 105

People: "Should be interesting! probably better then all 104 of the others!"

I guess I just feel like ranting.

They play on this in 'Back to the future' with a holographic ad for the movie Jaws 24 (don't remember the exact number)

Fine! :P but only because you and only you told me too.
LOL, thanks, but remember that following others can lead to soulless mass production. ;)
I've always wanted to make a movie myself. I even have an idea, it would revolutionalize the world of film making too. I'm serious!
That sounds fantastic! We should do lunch! I'll pick you up in my Mercedes, but you'll need to bring your own soul. :D

Seriously, I've had a little experience with independent efforts and still have some contacts in the biz. You should PM me with your idea, I'd love to hear more.

Also it's not so much that I am against free markets, it's more of what it turns people into. Soulless bastards in mercedes.
Don't buy into the image. Not every industry millionaire (in any industry) sells their soul to drive a fancy car. That's just an image that's fostered by the media. Most millionaires have never been on a yacht.

How about "A Scanner Darkly"? That was an excelent movie, in my opinion. Faithful to Dick's story, with cool effects, and still interesting. I don't think it was independent, either, but I am not sure...

I find that hard to believe. I am not a millionaire and I have been on plenty yachts.
Playing with your dinghy doesn't count. :P

Most millionaires don't live splashy lives (splashy as in "falling off your yacht"). They work hard, spend frugally, invest, and then leave all their money to their kids. Then the kids blow it all on splashy lives.

Don't buy into the image. Not every industry millionaire (in any industry) sells their soul to drive a fancy car. That's just an image that's fostered by the media. Most millionaires have never been on a yacht.

No off course not....they pay other people to sell their souls. HA! ok, I'll stop my hippie rant. You gots to be jivin man, these square are messin with mother nature (I have no idea what that means).

I am a very old fashioned 22 year old, yet I love the advancements of today. It's merely impossble to have old mentality and have these advancements. I think most people here would consider it "disney" dreaming.

About my idea, I was semi-serious about it, so I guess I'll humour you with it next time I visit, I got to think of a way to explain it properly.

I am a very old fashioned 22 year old, yet I love the advancements of today. It's merely impossble to have old mentality and have these advancements. I think most people here would consider it "disney" dreaming.
Free market means you can have your cake and eat it too. Don't look for what you want to be satisfied by the mainstream venues. Mass marketing has to do what it can to throw the widest net and that often means playing to average tastes. But because you have a need for something different, a free market means someone is out there trying to reach you.

If you're above average, or want something less Pop culture then you have to be willing to look farther afield. Get a subscription to Independent Film Quarterly instead of Entertainment or People. Don't go to the UA Googleplex 110 cinemas, visit an artsy old landmark theatre (not the kind where everyone wears raincoats). Don't buy white bread from Safeway, buy something tasty and grainy from Hippy Village grocers. ;)