Blocking Internet Access at certain times

RedAlert

Are there any freeware programs that can completely block my computer from accessing the internet in any way or form at certain times specified by me? Also, I have a DI-604 Dlink router, is there any way I can configure it to block any internet access at certain times?

If there are no good freeware programs that can do it, are there any commercial products that can accomplish the task?

Thanks for your help.

I couldn't find a free software one for you but here is an idea my friend told me.

He said to buy a timer (the ones used to turn lights on or off at different times of the day) and plug your cable modem into that. Some timers have keys so you can lock it.

Your modem would only turn on at the times you specify....

Bettina

Some routers have the ability to do this. try looking in the router configuration for something like 'filter', and select (if you can) block all tcp and all udp between x and y.

although putting it on a physical timer has the advantage that it won't be software locked, so someone looking to undo it would probably get a pretty big headache trying. depending on your reasons for locking the computer this may be a good option.

you'd have to lock the router in a cupboard, otherwize you could just unpull the power lead at the router, and then put a different one in, and plug that into the wall.

mind, you'd have to lock the router in a cupboard if you use it's filtering, to stop someone using the reset button.

and if it's to thwart your kid, i'm afraid this is going to be tricky... there are so many ways around any steps you could take.

Why would you want to do this?

All I can add to the above is to say you could do it manually. For example most firewall softwares allow you to block all network (incl. Internet) connections. Also many firewalls have the ability to password protect its settings.

However this is not automatic, you need to do it manually, I think.

Google windows cron or "cron for windows." Then look for a bash script for your firewall to auto turn it off. I'll be it this is easily bypassed by your kids but they may not figure out a way around it. Set it for your router and they can just hook up the Internet directly...

If you're using something like Linux this is really easy to do and there's NOTHING to bypass it. /etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop/start (depending on your system, again as a cron job).