p2p programs wont connect an its not my firewall dammit

gaara

hello,

my p2p program (namely limewire and azureus)

wont work. an when i installed windows xp pro freshly. i only installed on this new operating system the latest java (so to run limewire) an serive pack 1 an of course limewire. i turned off the simple firewall on the connection. an opened port 50000 for limewire to use.

an still nothing. it wont connect. but i know my net works fine because. i used ie5 to test the new os. an i could download an the connection was 25.6kb/s when i downloaded off a website.

so yeah i have no idea what hte problem is. and im not a complete incompetent computer person....

thanks for any help.

hello my friend..

yeha i have already forwarded the port... like you suggested... an yeah even limewire is showing that there is no firewall blocking it... so stupid.. i dont understand. it must be something to do with my router connection...

but im not good enough to know .. like if it is something to do with dhp or stuff like that.. an i haven never played around with setting i dont understand. the only setting i have touched are the port forwarding ones.

Azures and other BT clients have always seemed, to me, a bit more complex to setup.

But something like Limewire was, for me, very simple. I installed it, told Norton to give it access to the net and it worked!

My Limewire uses port 47779, and I haven't changed that, so that could be the default port.

Also two other things:

This is what I do with version 4.10.9

1)

Tools

Options

Connections

Ensure "Connect on startup" is ticked

2)

Tools

Options

Advanced (click the +)

Firewall Config

Here you've got the "Listen port:" box as well as the Router Configuration part, you probably want "Use UPnP" selected.

Have you disabled Window's firewall?

For me (Home, SP1):

Network Connections

Right click on the network

Properties

Advanced tab

Untick the Internet Connection Firewall box

See where that takes you.

Why not? They can be an efficient way to share personal files.

If I want to send my American friend a 200MB video I made at home then what better way to do it than via a p2p network?

Of course there is the other side to it as well!

Uh actually 5614 if you're sending your friend a 200MB video it'd be better to directly upload the file. Or even better hand him a CD.

A p2p network would not upload your file any faster.

Btw you might want to bittorrent, gaara.

hey.. can it have anything to do with my ISP... cause it seems like on different machines from the same router the same problem exists... so yeah....

its like its the internet connection thats being gay. but i dont understand why its being gay for only p2p programs

Some ISP have blacklisted certain ports.

If this is a prob then just follow my #4 (the long one) and it tells you how to change the port.

In Azures:

Tools

Options

Connection

Then change the value in the Incoming TCP listen port box

I find with Azures I have to forward ports on my router to get any decent download. Whereas with Limewire it just works fine.

Oh, and btw, did any of the stuff I suggested in that long post I made work?

no not really.. nothing in azureus is working... like at the start when it checks the update.. it actaully hangs on that.. like stops half way. the program is not laggin or hanging its just that update proces.... which is an indicataion to me that the net isnt working properly through that program

but yeah.. limewire works like everynow an then... like 1 out of 4 times it connects but then it doesnt download... an like 1 out of the 8 times i connect it actually downloads. yueah... its confusing as shit..

an is there a way for me to see what hte ISP has blacklisted? or not easily... thanks you.

really? I was going to say that's way too much.

and I stand corrected' date=' it was $150m[/quote']

A company that sells a program that shares other peoples hard work for free really irritates me. They make money by exploiting other people. Stealing. I hope they and Limewire and bearshare and all the other ones get fined more they can pay and get shut down. Just my moral 2 cents.

A company that sells a program that shares other peoples hard work for free really irritates me. They make money by exploiting other people. Stealing. I hope they and Limewire and bearshare and all the other ones get fined more they can pay and get shut down. Just my moral 2 cents.

These companies and open source projects create software that can be used to "share other peoples hard work for free". Should they be fined too?!

Ultimately, piracy happens because the end-user makes that decision. There is nothing wrong with P2P/any Technology, only the way in which it is (ab)used.

JustStuit you do realize that those people's "hard work" is (should be) still available online for free. Limwire and whatever probably just took a bsd style project and added some bells and whistles (from what I understand from your post). You can always take the original program and use it with out bells and whistles. (bells are whistles are pretty annoying, eh? Clang clag.)

Which is perfectly fine and in some casses encouraged.

If the original authors did not want their code to be used for this purpose they should have released it under GPL or similar.

edit -- wait what the **** are you actually talking about? It looks like LimeWire IS GPL. How are they "selling a program that shares other people's hard work for free," exactly?

They sell the advanced program for money - which many people buy. And I'm talking about downloading songs and videos, not programs.

EDIT : I am also opposed to the attitude that everything in life should be free and require no work or effort. (Not all things, some things should be free but when people feel they deserve free music and stuff that you are supposed to buy it annoys me. Also, grades. Being in high school it has become a peeve of mine - no effort. No one does their homework and they complain vigorously about why they are failing. They copy off tests. It annoys me so.)

as gaz pretty much said allready, that's the fault of the pirates and the downloaders, not the authors of the tool that helps share files (including pirated files).

one may as well level the same complaints against the manufactureres of cd/dvd burners.

as gaz pretty much said allready' date=' that's the fault of the pirates and the downloaders, not the authors of the tool that helps share files (including pirated files).

one may as well level the same complaints against the manufactureres of cd/dvd burners.[/quote']

I realized (as shown in the edit of last post) that it's not so much the action or the stealing, it's the attitude of many people. While I don't like the tool that they use, it is more the people. I also think that they knew it would be used as such. Screening it so you couldn't put songs or things illegally would be nice, but people would just switch to the other major p2p (limewire -> kazaa, etc) and people would find ways around it real easily.

If Limewire has a more "advanced" version then somebody could take up a complaint in court.

Btw the school thing is really throwing america behind, and nobody in power really seems to care. What we need is more homework but what we see are kids and even their parents complaining that they get too much!

It really is a problem, read The World is Flat.

I'm kind of curious how limewire is being sued, though. It's the work of probably more than 100 people, a lot of whom probably dotn live in the US.

If Limewire has a more "advanced" version then somebody could take up a complaint in court.

It does

http://www.limewire.com/english/content/download.shtml

Btw the school thing is really throwing america behind' date=' and nobody in power really seems to care. What we need is more homework but what we see are kids and even their parents complaining that they get too much!

[/quote']

I agree.