Is it ok i wear my friends glasses?

gaara

Hello,

im shortsighted. an when i wear my friends glasses it allows me to see the damn univeristy lecture screens. i have never worn glasses before until i wore his. an it makes it so clear. an i was just wondeirng if there are any health hazards involved with this?

cause they were not prescribed to me.

thanks.

well, they can't be causing more strain than when you try to look at the board without the glasses. my advice, go see an optitcion(i know i spelt that wrong but for the life of me i can't see where) and get some glasses. or contacts if you don't mind shoving things in your eye

yeah.. that was obviously my 1st thought ....

but like im just a student. with no income. im pretty sure you cant get glasses for free. or see an Optometrist(?) for cheap... so yeah... i wonder if it is covered by medicare?

What country are you in? i know in the UK it's quite common to get reductions for students and free eye test vouchers in newspapers and stuff.

From what I recall, wearing others glasses can be bad because the two lenses are not the same magnification, so one of your eyes is trying to focus differntly to the other one...

Actually, depending on the difference of the prescription and how long you wear them, I think there can be some negative side-effects, ranging from minor headaches, to the creation of a lazy eye. Because your pupils are in a different location than your friends, the center of the lens which focuses the light correctly is in a slightly different place. Although I am no optician, I think this can eventually lead to your eye being 'pulled' off to one side as it tries to look at the best place. This only happens if you wear them a long time though. For three or four hours a day a couple times a week, there shouldn't be a problem. Still, to be on the safe side, I would invest in a pair of glasses. Maybe you could buy the lenses in the same shape as his frames and switch them when you need to wear them. :D

It was common practice for many optometrists to prescripe slightly under perscription lenses for a long time. They held this incorrect belief that it would train your eyes a bit and prevent worsening or even fix vision. It was later realised that they were full of shit, and it just put more undo stress on the eye and could potentially worsen vision. Some still do this, you should try to get as accurate a prescription as possible.