Dilema.....Help!!!

Vergil

I have been offered two optional courses I really want to do, but at the sametime been told that I can only choose one. The two courses are:

Software engineering (programming) and

Networking

The thing is I really like them both. Quite good in Newtorking but keen to learn more. Programming; still learning, I like to think I can do it, I think I can. At the same time I want to learn it by all means necessary. It's just that when I was doing my project on programming recently, I was havinng loads of doubts, thinkin; is this for me?, do I consider myself as a coder?. I love programming, I wanna be there coding, I'm doin the best I can.

As per Networking, I feel that it would be easier, that probably I wouldn't need to 'crack my head' to much in order to pass the course.

on the other hand, I will be guilty if I don't do programming.

Please anyone.....if there's any thing u think might help me make my mind up, pls say. Feel free to say everything....manz need help badly!!!

and please, if you don't mind could you give some sort of reason..u know why I should do this instead of the other.

Thanks really appreciate this.!!!

I finished my Networking Diploma last year. I actually really enjoyed it and am running my own business now ( mostly network support/implementation). It really depends on what you like. Network Engineering requires the ability to be a good problem solver but the same thing would propobly apply to programmin as well. I enjoy working in the field as you come across all kinds of problems. You have to ask yourself; "do I really want to troubleshoot for my career". That's what it really comes down to. The pressure can get pretty intense as well.

I am currently doing a Programming subject in my Science degree. From my experience so far, I would rather be a network engineer than a software developer.

I finished my Networking Diploma last year. I actually really enjoyed it and am running my own business now ( mostly network support/implementation). It really depends on what you like. Network Engineering requires the ability to be a good problem solver but the same thing would propobly apply to programmin as well. I enjoy working in the field as you come across all kinds of problems. You have to ask yourself; "do I really want to troubleshoot for my career". That's what it really comes down to. The pressure can get pretty intense as well.

I am currently doing a Programming subject in my Science degree. From my experience so far' date=' I would rather be a network engineer than a software developer.[/quote']

Yep,You're right about 'troubleshooting'.

The thing is I enjoy troublshooting network related problems, I have a network at home comprising of wired & wireless connections. I enjoy solving any problems that arise, and eager to learn more stuff relating to it.

Thesame goes for programming, the problem is when I try to solve some proramming related problems, I enjoy it at the same time get scared. Scared I might end up not doing it. But when I finally do ti,I get really overwhelmed.

Now, why I find it hard to choose is because, if I choose an option I don't want to fail the whole year bcos I choosed the wrong option. If I went for programming, I have this mind saying I will fail it(then again I passed the first years project suprinsingly). Because I don't know what Networking actually holds for me, I'm not sure.

I'm really greatful about everyones response, I appreciatethem all.

You have to trust yourself. When I was doing my networking diploma , I truly loved science.But I was so scared of taking it. There was no-one in the world who could convince me that I would succeed . I had so much self doubt but I enrolled anyway. My passion to learn really did overcome any self confidence issues. After the first semester I got 2 D's and 1 HD. This was a big step for me. Trust me, if you truly want to do something , YOU CAN DO IT. There is nothing in the world that can stop you as long as you have the passion. "Don't be afraid of failing, be afraid of not trying" someones quote.