a way to visualise 10 dimensions

I believe it is true. In Michio Kaku's book, HYPERSPACE, which I have read, flatlanders cannot see up or down in their two-dimensional world and cannot see you looking down at them. All they see are other lines. When a sphere passes thru their world they see a varying line from small to big then to small again.

But, for the flatlander to see another it must have some inherent thickness.

Bettina

I've just joined the forum, so I am a little clueless. Since you have read "Hyperspace", which even I have, I thought maybe I could put my thoughts...

Michio Kaku says that originally the universe was 10 dimensional and later it divided into two universes- our 4-D world and another 6-D world.

Now, since the dimension of time has come into our universe, does it not imply that the 6-Dimensional universe is in a steady state, i.e. in exactly the same form as it was at the time of the division, since time has not passed there.

Comments awaited...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this video a bit ago and think it can help the layman envision extra dimensions. When we think of extra dimensions for some reason we think of extra spatial dimensions. a dimension is simply something that increases.

A zero dimension can be thought of as complete nothingness or zero energy.

One dimension is simply increasing line, it cannot be negative only positive,

Two dimensions is two separate variables increasing and three dimensions as three variables increasing our X, Y, and Z.

While these three variables are separate they are very much linked together. You cannot move in three dimensions without also moving in two dimensions.

This may seem like a duh 1+1=2 but when you move up in dimensions it becomes a very important aspect.

Can Time increase without any movement in the lower dimensions?

If you say yes because an object can remain still while time passes you are completely wrong as we are whizzing around the sun as we speak. In fact the only way to complete cease all movement is to reduce temperature to zero Kelvin. At zero Kelvin an object experiences no time because time is a measurement of the change of a system... No change No time.

But an object can exist in lower dimensions while higher dimensions are reduced to zero. A photograph is a representation of a system at t=0, yet while the actual photograph may age and decay; the instant in time that the photograph represents will not change, then it would be a video instead of a picture.

So for us on earth happy as clams we only understand 4 dimensions because the higher dimensions are currently not increasing.

For those who understand calculus this might help; acceleration can be thought of as the next higher dimension of velocity. When velocity is constant the acceleration is zero. For acceleration to become nonzero the velocity must fluctuate.

This is the same principle for time. For an object in three spatial dimensions to remain constant every subatomic particle that makes up the object must be completely motionless; when this happens the next higher dimension time is zero.

Now the fifth dimension is normally zero if time is moving at a constant rate or (constant velocity) but when the passage of time fluctuates by moving slower or faster, you experience movement in the fifth dimension (our perception of gravity)

(on a side note; time slows down as velocity increases; All objects tend to move toward where time is changing the slowest.

On earth time moves the slowest where it's spinning the fastest; That just happens to be where the solid ground meets the air at the equator. This also explains why the earth is fatter at the equator because there is a more powerful drive for matter to collect there.

So all matter inside the earth will tend toward the crust and all matter in the sky will tend toward the crust. (Explains why magma gets more and more powerful as it approaches the top of the volcano but moments after it shoots in the sky it is suddenly pulled back toward the earth. If gravity was so great why did it let the lava escape in the first place.

Also this describes why objects falling will increase speed until they hit the ground.

When time is increasing so rapidly that the change of time (acceleration or 5th dimension) is changing rapidly, the sixth dimension has become non zero which physicists refer to as jerk; When your in a car that stops very fast you are jerked forward.

Now, the next higher dimension, the seventh dimension, is a change in jerk. This is called crush or (compactification). When you get into a bad car wreck you can clearly understand why its called crush. Although the term is quite misleading because Black Holes exert crush on anything that gets sucked into it, except the result is the complete opposite as every particle quickly moves farther and farther away from its neighbors.

The other three dimensions are below our space dimensions so to speak as they are the three variables that determine a string in string theory.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

this is basically what i was trying to say

3 string values make a string

4 string values needed to create an elementary particle

1 elementary particle is a point in space

2 elementary particles needed to create a line of space (1 dimension)

3 elementary particles needed to create an area of space (2 dimensions)

4 elementary particles needed to create a volume of space (3 dimensions)

1 complete universe is a point in time

2 complete universes interacting create a line of time (4 dimensions)

3 complete universes interacting needed to create an area of time (5 dimensions)

[you are currently at a stoplight (first universe), when the light turns green you can do one thing. If you choose A your now in (second universe) but if you choose B your in (third universe). Any possible thing you can do is the time area.]

(More commonly called probability)

4 complete universes interacting needed to create a volume of time (6 dimensions)

[You're at the stoplight (first universe) but there also exists a universe where at the exact moment your at the stoplight in first universe you are at the stoplight one street down (Alternate first universe); this is because just prior to being at the stoplight, you were in (-1 universe) were your next decision was to go to either first universe or alternate first universe. but if you then choose A in either the first or alternate first universe you will the be in (third universe) regardless of whether you were originally in first or alternate. This is time volume, all the possible ways of arriving at a particular universe and all the possible ways of departing that particular universe.

The seventh dimension would be our universe in its totality from beginning to end.