Behaviour problem?

Please consider the behaviour of the following individual....

- 18 yr old female

- used to self injure (cut) for few months in the past, no longer self injures

- has had suicidal thoughts, never acted on them.

- has been told that she acts immature, childish, not proper for her age.

- is very annoying. Asks repeated questions such as:" are you happy? " "do you like me?"

- divorced parents

- has been abused and neglected by her father

- gets upset over extremely minor things, ex: she being ignored or not accepted

- if extremely upset and left alone by her self, throws her self on the groud n starts screaming, crying, punching, and thinks about ways to harm her self. However if close relatives are present, she would scream n throw objects around. Embaressing yet she can not completely take control of her emotions.

- feels out of control on certain occasions

- good academic record

- has had relation ship troubles

- has occasional night mares, mostly about her father and her ex bf

Do you think this individual has a behaviour problem and needs to seek professional assistance? or would you consider these set of behaviours as normal considering the abuse she has been through?

Does this idividual has some sort of a behaviour disorder?

Do you think this individual has a behaviour problem and needs to seek professional assistance? or would you consider these set of behaviours as normal considering the abuse she has been through?

The behavior problems may be normal' date=' depending on the severity of the abuse and the personallity of the girl before the abuse. That doesn't mean, however, that the girl [i']shouldn't [/i]seek professional help.

Perhaps even something like talking to a school guidance counsilor would be a good first step.

school councelor can't help her :( she's been there be4...

Is the screaming n crying part n lying on the ground like a 6 yr old normal?

her reputation has turned bad becuz of her behaviour :( :(

Then yes, this person should probably seek professional help. (though, keep in mind, Im not an authority on behavioral problems).

I do know; however, that these problems tend to get worse if they're not nipped in the bud as soon as possible.

It sounds like this kid is hurting inside and is looking for an outlet. If the problem is ignored, the result is never good.

I have seen this happen before, with people I know. There mistakes could have been avoided if they had just talked to someone about it. Now, most of them are hooked on drugs, impovershed or dead.

Is this person a close friend of yours? How do you know about her feelings so well? Anyway, I'm not sure if I can give the best advice about this, but I will do my best. I've never been at a point where I was mentally unstable or anything like that, but I've had a pretty lonely life.

When I sometimes felt depressed, the last thing I wanted to do is talk to some stranger. Although I've never considered committing suicide, I did write a lot of poems about death a few years ago. Also, other people at school told me that I looked so depressed all the time. The guidance counselor at my school called me into her office because other people were worried about me, especially the ones who had read my poetry. I told her not to worry because that type of poetry I wrote was just my style and the poems had nothing to do with my feelings or thoughts. That was a lie, because even though I never thought about death, my poems were a reflection of my loneliness. I just didn't want to talk to her about it, even though she was a professional. All I really wanted was a true friend, not professional help.

Anyway, I'm saying that maybe this girl just needs a true friend. Maybe she needs to know that there is some happiness in this life, and that life is worth living. If I was in her situation, I'm not sure if I would want to talk to some professional about my problems. I would want someone who really knows me and cares about me. I've noticed that you and this girl you are talking about are both 18 years old. Maybe you could try being her friend, and helping her with her problems. You don't have to be a professional to talk to someone and try to make them feel better. Just find out what is really bothering her inside, and let her know you care. I'm sure it would mean much more to her than some crazy doctor putting her on drugs.

I'm not sure if I'm giving the best advice, but I hope it helps you and your friend. If there is anything else that you would like to tell me, you can PM me anytime.

Edited by herme3

Sounds like the person needs some professional psychosocial intervention, i.e. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. If that fails, pharmacotherapy may be an option but your friend would have to consult with a psychiatry physcian.

It sounds like Social Anxiety Disorder to me; but the physcian will have a number of pharmacotherpeutic options available based on the individual patient profile.

Is this person a close friend of yours? How do you know about her feelings so well?

well....um...it was me ...um... i was talking about my self :D

but i'm not really depressed, i think i just went through a bad period of my life where every thing turned wrong, mainly due to they things my dad n my ex bf did to me, n i started cutting...but my relationship with my mom has been getting better n she's very helpful.

My mom didn't recommend me to see a pshycologist becuz of the same "crazy doctor putting her on drugs" thing, she talked with me a lot and i am much better now...however my last break down was 10 days ago, i'm hoping it won't happen again...:P

Sounds like the person needs some professional psychosocial intervention' date=' i.e. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. If that fails, pharmacotherapy may be an option but your friend would have to consult with a psychiatry physcian.

It sounds like Social Anxiety Disorder to me; but the physcian will have a number of pharmacotherpeutic options available based on the individual patient profile.[/quote']

I just don't trust the "professionals". I'm sure there are some good ones out there who really care about their patients, but many of them think that medication is the solution for everything. They want to change patterns in your brain using medicine, and this can often be harmful. I saw a commercial for an anti-depression pill, and one of the possible side-effects was increased thoughts of suicide. Also, the long-term consequences for these types of medication are not yet known. I feel that the best solution is just to find someone to talk to.

well....um...it was me ...um... i was talking about my self

but i'm not really depressed' date=' i think i just went through a bad period of my life where every thing turned wrong, mainly due to they things my dad n my ex bf did to me, n i started cutting...but my relationship with my mom has been getting better n she's very helpful.

My mom didn't recommend me to see a pshycologist becuz of the same "crazy doctor putting her on drugs" thing, she talked with me a lot and i am much better now...however my last break down was 10 days ago, i'm hoping it won't happen again...[/quote']

I actually had a feeling that you were talking about yourself. I could tell after reading your first post. Listen, you can't blame yourself for the things that other people do. It sounds like you've done nothing wrong, so there is absolutely no reason for you to want to punish yourself. It's not your fault, and you should never think it is.

I've talked to other girls at school before, and you wouldn't believe how many are going through the same type of stuff that you are. Many girls are quick to blame themselves for everything that goes wrong in their lives, even when it's not their fault. Some people, especially ex boyfriends, can say and do some really terrible things that can make people feel bad about themselves. You just need to remember who you really are, not who people say you are.

I hope everything goes well for you. It sounds like you just need a really good friend who cares about you, and someone you can talk to. Try to find someone who you can really trust and come to whenever you are feeling depressed.

Also, you can always send me a PM if you ever feel like you need someone to talk to. No matter what happens, just remember who you really are.

I just don't trust the "professionals". I'm sure there are some good ones out there who really care about their patients, but many of them think that medication is the solution for everything. They want to change patterns in your brain using medicine, and this can often be harmful.

Says who?

I saw a commercial for an anti-depression pill, and one of the possible side-effects was increased thoughts of suicide. Also, the long-term consequences for these types of medication are not yet known. I feel that the best solution is just to find someone to talk to.

And that doesn't often work. Clinical depression is often caused by different chemical patterns in the brain, not just feeling sad.

Says who?

Seeing some crazy doctor is not the best solution for problems affecting your mind, unless the person is completely insane. It sounds like pHoToN_gUrL just needs someone to talk to, someone who really cares about her. She doesn't need some idiot giving her a bunch of harmful medications.

And that doesn't often work. Clinical depression is often caused by different chemical patterns in the brain, not just feeling sad.

Perhaps, but I still feel that a ton of different types of medication does more harm than good. There has to be a better solution, such as eating nutritional food or something like that.

Edited by herme3

I have a family member who was feeling a little depressed. She went to see a doctor, and he put her on at least 15 different medications. That only made her feel much worse, not better. The medication also gives her a lot of bad headaches, and they cost a lot of money. Most of her money now goes to medication, which hasn't helped her at all. I don't think that doctor has done anything to help her.

That's because many of the medications only work in some people. While "15 different medications" sounds like either hyperbole or an incredible excess, you can't quite call it the doctor's fault. She just needs to try something else, because obviously those medications aren't the right ones.

Seeing some crazy doctor is not the best solution for problems affecting your mind, unless the person is completely insane. It sounds like pHoToN_gUrL just needs someone to talk to, someone who really cares about her. She doesn't need some idiot giving her a bunch of harmful medications.

You hardly need to discredit them as "idiots." Clinical depression (among many other disorders) is a problem that can be hereditary, and can be caused by problems in brain chemistry itself. That sort of thing cannot be easily solved by talking to someone. Frankly, I'd leave that sort of decision to a therapist or psychiatrist, who would be trained to be a good person to talk to as well as understanding other possible treatments.

Perhaps, but I still feel that a ton of different types of medication does more harm than good. There has to be a better solution, such as eating nutritional food or something like that.

We haven't found one. Remember, not all medication work for everybody, so one has to find a flexible doctor who is willing to find out what works for them. It can be a combination of therapy, medication, or just one, but saying "reject medication" could potentially be just as dangerous as saying "don't get therapy at all."

Frankly, I wouldn't leave this kind of decision to a bunch of anonymous people on a forum anyways. Find a good psychiatrist - one that's known to be good, if you can find one - and refer the friend to them. Don't wait, because sometimes mental illnesses (if it turns out to be one, although I can't definitively say that now) can be unstable.

You hardly need to discredit them as "idiots." Clinical depression (among many other disorders) is a problem that can be hereditary, and can be caused by problems in brain chemistry itself. That sort of thing cannot be easily solved by talking to someone. Frankly, I'd leave that sort of decision to a therapist or psychiatrist, who would be trained to be a good person to talk to as well as understanding other possible treatments.

The doctor I've been talking about is a psychiatrist. Maybe there are some good ones out there, but I still don't think I would trust one if I was having problems.

Edited by herme3

Yes, but it seems like the doctor just doesn't know what he's doing. Many of those medications are very strong, yet he is giving her about 15 of them at the same time. She has had bad headaches, uncontrollable shaking, and other health problems. She is also tired all the time, and she used to have lots of energy. Whenever she goes to see the doctor, he just gives her more medication instead of taking away the ones that are causing the problems.

First of all, you aren't a psychiatrist, so you can't determine if he doesn't know what he's doing. If you're not exaggerating what you're saying, however, I'd say to get a second opinion. Getting two doctors to give an opinion gives you a much better chance of doing the right thing.

The doctor I've been talking about is a psychiatrist. Maybe there are some good ones out there, but I still don't think I would trust one if I was having problems.

Anecdotes do not make evidence. If you're unsure, it's simple enough to ask two of them, even if it costs more to get the extra appointment.

I agree with the Cap'n. Whether or not pills are the right therapy really depends on the person seeking treatment.

In Photon Gurl's case, however, it sounds like some good ol' fashion talk-therapy would do the trick. It sounds like she's suffering from past abuse - not some genetic or chemical disposition. She also seems to be very emotional and it sounds like her emotions sometimes get the better part of her. This may be hereditary, and for that drugs *might* be needed. But I think if she can get herself back on her feet (with or without therapy), only then is she under the right conditions to judge whether or not her emotions are too overbearing not to require medical intervention.

My mom has the exact same opinion as herme3, and so i am not allowed to see a psychiatrist. Right now i feel very stable and great and i don't think i need to see one, but at the time i posted the original message i thought there was some thing wrong with me, but now i don't think there is ne thing wrong with me. I think i'm a bit too emotional (may be?), and also i've gained back my self confidence however i still do some things that bother me but i think it'll go away. I live with my mom at the moment so there is no possible way for me to see a psychiatrist, and even if i see one i don't know what to tell them. I was thinking may be part of these things are normal becuz my mom told me that it's normal it's just a teenage thing, so i was hoping some body here would agree that the behaviour was normal.

I would say that your reaction is Perfectly Normal (whatever "Normal" actualy means anyway) to very Abnormal circumstances, from what I`ve read, you seem to be doing an exceptional and wholey remarkable job of keeping it together as well as you have done, and Are Doing! :)

I think that Alone is no Small acheivement in itself, yes, you every right to have Confidence in yourself now.

pat on back! :)

My mom has the exact same opinion as herme3, and so i am not allowed to see a psychiatrist. Right now i feel very stable and great and i don't think i need to see one, but at the time i posted the original message i thought there was some thing wrong with me, but now i don't think there is ne thing wrong with me. I think i'm a bit too emotional (may be?), and also i've gained back my self confidence however i still do some things that bother me but i think it'll go away. I live with my mom at the moment so there is no possible way for me to see a psychiatrist, and even if i see one i don't know what to tell them. I was thinking may be part of these things are normal becuz my mom told me that it's normal it's just a teenage thing, so i was hoping some body here would agree that the behaviour was normal.

I've had experiences like this where my self-esteme goes an a rollercoster ride (still do). Sometimes I feel absolutely wonderful, other times I feel like crap. I've been to see a psychiatrists about emotional problems before, and I usually feel stupid about it going in because the most recent episode or incident usually happens two weeks before, and at the time of see her I didn't feel bad anymore and so I didn't feel like I had any "real" problems.

Do you go to university or college of any sort? At the U of C, the university I went to, part of my tuition went towards health services, and so I was able to book appointments with the psychiatrist for free whenever I wanted. You should see if that's available to you - it wouldn't hurt.

Hehe I was about to ask if it was about you not a friend.

It's different for all people. Like (Finally I can clearly say) I don't have S.A.D, but I use too. And it sounds pretty much like me when I was 18, but except I wouldn't ask questions at all, and I was completely anti-social and an anxiety freak, but on the other hand I wouldn't hurt myself or others, or rebel. Maybe I had 4 or 5 suicidal thoughts in my whole life, and that isnt bad.

Sure I wasn't normal, I dont think I will ever be normal. When it got bad I did go to therapy, even though I hated too. I'd gauge it by if your a threat to others and yourself. There were a couple years I just had to work alone on it. "They" call Congitive Behaviour Therapy.

Just don't get paranoid. Seriously I use to get really paranoid pondering if I was crazy or not, and that sucks.

It's not like going to a doctor for the flu. You have to really think it out, because the methods now suck too. It's like an investment. Cover all angles.

Yeah that and relax. Work out, run, do something active, it's the best way to relax and keep your mind off things.

pat on back! :)

Sometimes I feel absolutely wonderful' date=' other times I feel like crap. I've been to see a psychiatrists about emotional problems before, and I usually feel stupid about it going in because the most recent episode or incident usually happens two weeks before, and at the time of see her I didn't feel bad anymore and so I didn't feel like I had any "real" problems.[/quote']

That's exactly how i feel. When it happens i freak out but after couple of days i feel stupid about it and feel very good and natural. And even reading what i've posted here before makes me kind of embaressed now becuz i feel it was stupid.

Work out' date=' run, do something active, it's the best way to relax and keep your mind off things.[/quote']

I run every day. Also i've started taking violin lessons. :)

hello

yes do seek help. that does not mean you will be sent to a psychiatrist and placed on anti-psycotic medication. you may simply need to have someone with whom you can discuss your situation.

your part where those close to you tell you basically to 'just straighten up', and the fact that you are on this board seeking advise, tends to demonstrate you do have a desire to discuss this matter with others but may lack such individuals around you.

you say you have had thoughts of inflicting harm on yourself but have not done so. but have you taken any steps toward doing so. you mention thinking of cutting yourself, did you just think about it, or did you while thinking about it secure a knife or razor with which you could actually cut yourself. if you have taken any steps toward actually hurting yourself please seek help.

lastly your outbursts and breakdowns over issues you mention with your father maybe signs of abandonment issues.

which may be effecting your own feelings of self worth.

i take it you are still fairly young, which leads to concern these issues may effect you and your relationships in later life. so to help head off such issues see if you can find a professional to aid you inresolving this matter. even if only a free clinic counselor, or even a good friend or relative who can listen and be supportive of you.

this type of problem does not simply go away, nor is it one that can be medicated away.

mr d