Combustion

aommaster

OK, i think a minor misundstanding. Lets say, you have an alcohol, propanol and it is involved and a combustion. How can u tell, without looking at a balanced formula at room oxygen levels, wether it is imcomplete or complete combustion.

You only have the name of the chemical and two options for a formula, complete or incomplete

ok, if the fuel contains elements that AFTER reaction with the Oxygen (in the air) do not form to make a gas, then the combustion is STILL complete (providing all the fuel has reacted). IF there are particles in the air as dust like Soot (carbon) then it`s incomplete as Carbon will combine with air.

So....

A: all fuel must have reacted

B: any reactants left over that COULD HAVE combimed to form a gas is Incomplete.

C: reactants left over that CANNOT combine with Oxygen, but conforms to A will be considered complete.

hows that dude :)

well for a start we can elliminate the AIR thing and just call it Oxygen, as that`s the only thing in air that plays a part at standard RTP, and assuming there is sufficient quantity of Oxygen to complete the reaction.

It seems I`m trying to get to the actual question here, or a clear definition of it at least!? you don`t HAVE to experiment to work it out, it wasn`t suggested. it can be done on paper only :)

Well let me explain this scenario:

1. You are given a hydrocarbon

2. You cannot experiment to see whether soot is released

3.You have to find out whether is burn completely or incompletely

4.This is ALL at normal room oxygen levels i think 30%

How can u tell whether it burns completely (Water and co2 released) or whether it burns incompletely (water, co2, co and C released)

lol

well no, not really LOL

because it can either burn completely or incompletely

i want to know how it would burn NATURALLY

and to aid that, i want to know how much oxygen for a reaction is that maximum possible at room ixygen levels so that it changes from being a complete to incomplete combustion

it would burn incompletely in the lack of sufficient Oxygen.

think of a badly tuned car engine or a gas heater... OR even better a bunsen burner!

you open the nozel to let more air in at the base of it and you get a BLUE hot flame :)

close it, and it goes yellow and sooty :)

no, but if u take an evaporating basin, and light benzene in it, it burns incompletely

In an equation, is there a certain amount of oxygen that is too high so that it burns incompletely, something like 9o2 or something, that forces it to burn incompletely???

consider this...

standard aviation fuel, I can light a match and throw it in a pool of this fuel, the match will go out and there will be no fire.

heat this fuel to just bellow "flash point" and do the same, and Whooosh! it`ll burn :)

now add pure Oxygen into this equasion and it`ll more than likey explode!

so HEAT and OXYGEN DELIVERY is critical for total and complete combustion :)

oh yeah, and Pressure also plays a role, but the above 2 are the main protagonists :)