Highest education level completed (or currently working on)?

fafalone

Highest education level completed (or currently working on)?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Highest education level completed (or currently working on)?

• Less than high school
    • High School Diploma
    • Associates Degree
    • Bachelor's Degree
    • Masters Degree
    • Doctoral Degree (PhD, EdD, etc)
    • Professional Degree (MD, JD, etc)
    • Combined Degree Program (MD/PhD, MD/JD, etc)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was once a biology major - then went into the family business. Over the years I have taken courses in business and accounting, but I don't have a degree.

I've also taken courses in computer aided design and manufacturing, but I don't have degrees in those areas either.

I used to joke and say that my degree is from "HKU"

• 7 months later...

1.5 more months of high school and ill graduate.

I can't say I am smarter than any of yall, but I do plan on becoming smarter, through the use of myelin inhibitory factors, and neurosteroids.

I have done alot of research(9 months worth) and hypothetically it should work.

• 3 months later...

I also just finished tenth grade. I looked so low on the list compared to all those University degrees. :-( They should put stuff like elmentary graduate and preschool degree just to make us feel better and actually make a choice as to which was our highest accomplishement. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I'm an undergraduate right now, but in a program that is prepping me for my intent to go for my Ph. D. So I'm ultimately working on my Ph. D. But in the short term I'm working on my Bachelor's... so...?

same here, though I'm currently exploring the possiblities of an MD/Ph.D program.

how long for an MD/PhD program? 7 years?

It depends on the program. MD is 7 years or so, I think, and other medical style degrees are similar (like for pharmacy, dentristry, vet school, etc). PhDs depend on the field, the research, your advisor, etc. 4 years is possible, 5 more likely, 6 common, and, well, let's just say that 'eternal student' isn't always a joking term.

Actually, a few weeks ago at a graduate student lunch, one of the doctoral students was telling us about a guy who took 24 years to get his PhD. He worked on it for 3, then his folks died and left his an assload of money, so he just lived off that for over two decades while bumming around the entomology department of the school's museum. Then the money ran out and he was forced to actually graduate.

For most of the hard sciences, though, 4-6 seems to be the duration for most people.

Mokele

• 2 weeks later...

Just a highschool student, but I might not even finish that if I get any more bored or disappointed with the public education system. They seriously need some kind of program here to teach students at a more personalized rate (IE, slower for the less intelligent and faster for the easier learned). I find it kind of stupid that some kids can't get through highschool either because they are "Too smart", or others because the courses go by too quickly in Academic and Applied but too slowly in Remedial. Heavily flawed, and there are some completely braindead teachers up here too :P

Sure would be nice if we were all requried to post our age and level of education under our sigs or avatars, or someplace obvious. Perhaps our political leanings as well. It helps to know who is talking before responding. For instance, if I know I am talking to a liberal, I would use very big words that contribute little or nothing to the topic at hand. They confuse easily anyway, but take abuse more readily if they think I am more educated than they are. If a far right conservative, I would quote scriptures to them, but ones that they really don't want to hear. God forbid that a conservative should be a real Christian.:rolleyes:

I have 3 years of tech schools in the military, and senior standing at a University toward a Bach. of Technology, Electronics, but am no longer working on it. I found that I could make plenty of money without going any further, and I was already approaching 40.

So I put associate degree, altho some of the jobs I have held actually required a bachelors degree.

I am still learning,tho. My grown children like to tell me that I am the purveyor of a prodigious amount of useless information. But they speak more respectfully when they want their crap fixed....:D

Sure would be nice if we were all requried to post our age and level of education under our sigs or avatars' date=' or someplace obvious. Perhaps our political leanings as well. It helps to know who is talking before responding. For instance, if I know I am talking to a liberal, I would use very big words that contribute little or nothing to the topic at hand. They confuse easily anyway, but take abuse more readily if they think I am more educated than they are. If a far right conservative, I would quote scriptures to them, but ones that they really don't want to hear. God forbid that a conservative should be a [u']real[/u] Christian.:rolleyes:

I have 3 years of tech schools in the military, and senior standing at a University toward a Bach. of Technology, Electronics, but am no longer working on it. I found that I could make plenty of money without going any further, and I was already approaching 40.

So I put associate degree, altho some of the jobs I have held actually required a bachelors degree.

I am still learning,tho. My grown children like to tell me that I am the purveyor of a prodigious amount of useless information. But they speak more respectfully when they want their crap fixed....:D

I agree with having our age & level of education posted by our avatars. Maybe then people would have more patience dealing with my silly questions :D . I'm a 24 year old male who never finished high school partially due to family matters. My master plan is to move up through my company until I make it high enough for them to pay my way through college. Then I hope to Atleast go for a bachelor of science. Preferably somewhere in Physics? Would that count as "working" on a degree? I went with the less than high school, though.

Words and phrases build concepts to stem further thought. Why let our preconceptions of a person with a certain degree or age hinder the purpose of communication?

If we're trying to get a specific debate, write the first post with some basic guidelines of education and experience. There are plenty of people out here with more intelligent ideas than those with degrees.

Text books spew out the same age-old ideas while many who have not been formally educated have the ability innovate our minds with free thought. An individual with less objective observation of people,society and scientific concept will often bring to light greater concepts than somebody playing "follow the leader" by reading all the same text books.