Earth almost distroyed last monday (??!?!?)

Right, one stupid person at a time. First CPL and all others, yes the sun will become a red giant in the time frame you all stated but when the sun does become a red giant it will swallow mecury, heat mars to 1 million kelvin approximately and incinerate most of the inner planets of the solar system. Before then the sun will continue to warm our planet (Supporting source that the earth is being warmed by the sun "global warming" if you will) and I hope most people are aware that the earth is a fragile ecosystem and the slightest raise in temperatures even by a few degrees in sea temperatures can melt the ice caps flooding most of the planet and some do estimate that with the suns warming effect and other warming factors that within the next few thousand years the temperatures will rise enough to do this.

Also it is very easy to wipe out mankind or have a dire affect and change lifestyles as we know it, it doesnt even need to be plunged in to an ice age like the last one that that minimised the worlds population to between 3000 to 9000 people. For example back in the 1860 something (cant find a reliable source for information on this on the internet) a volcano errupted not even on super proportions and sent ash flying in to the atmosphere and reduced the growing season of crops to less than two months in the northern hemisphere and alot of people died from a year long famine. True that this may not wipe out mankind it would be different nowadays. Have you seen how people react to times like christmas (ive nearly seen riots before)? Well imagine how people would react to a disaster even if not on a scale to terminate life instantly, the chaos that would ensue would be unbelievable!

And walrusman "They aren't predictions...they're dramatic overtures by bored scientists...". They are predictions maybe based on dramatic overtures, who can say whether they are truely accurate but due to a lack of data we have to hypothosise on these dramatic overtures and only as we gain more data can we make a more informed guess. What i think is a dramatic overture is global warming caused by humans! And true tycho objects do pentrate the earth all the time but i was pointing towards objects larger than 1/2 a mile that would affect more than the local area. As well as norway several other areas (like russia) are affected by small bits of debris maybe a metre in size that flatten trees in a whole valley. And i never said space became less or more volatile, just stating it is volatile.

Thankyou dark angel "but we might not even make it that long, the yellowstone super volcanoe is set to blow any moment according to the USGS, as is Mount ST Helens and they also expect Krakatoa to go again as well. Not to mention the warming oceans will unfreeze all the trapped methane in the ocean anyway, burning us alive." Exactly! Back at yellowstone near 1929 i believe it was surveyed and measurements were taken and then these measurements were retaken back in the 70's and found that yellowstones supervolcano is a breathing caldera sinking and rising at the north of the lake and over thousands of years the lake has changed position from settlement fossils found. Yellowstone has been found to be the most active spot outside of california in the US averaging 25 tremors/earthquakes a week! Thats why for numerous years the USGS have had many instruments dotted all over yellowstone and yes dark angel the USGS have stated that the melt volume below yellowstone is not high enough to trigger a reaction but they dont know when thats why its being continually monitored as its a serious threat.

And walrusman tell me one great thing about the human race? In a ecologically minded way? Every creature on earth has reached a natural equiliberium with its enviroment apart from homo sapiens. The only way humans survive is by exploiting every resource and spreading like a virus but if you've got a different food chain id love to see it!!!! (and "freakin awesome"?? sad dude!!)

And furthermore this is a list of disasters, although there is more than stated this is just a glimpse for people and some are predicted to happen soon or overdue that will kill some or all of us or alter lifestyle as we know it: Wildfires, earthquakes, eruptions, avalanches, tsunami's, landslides, flooding, hurricanes, lahars, storm surges, cyclones, typhoons, diseases, drought, solar flares and pole reversals. For more information please Click here on the changing earth. Tiny bit of info on pole reversal as well

Sorry to go on but im pointing out every point and i hope ive been clear enough although id guess probably not for some people.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before then the sun will continue to warm our planet (Supporting source that the earth is being warmed by the sun "global warming" if you will) and I hope most people are aware that the earth is a fragile ecosystem and the slightest raise in temperatures even by a few degrees . . . .

I'm going to stop you right there. Here goes . . . .

The Earth has been "a few degree" hotter before now.

Right now we are actualy in the low range acording to this chart from :http://www.scotese.com/climate.htm

ICE HOUSE or HOT HOUSE?

During the last 2 billion years the Earth's climate has alternated between a frigid "Ice House", like today's world, and a steaming "Hot House", like the world of the dinosaurs.

This chart shows how global climate has changed through time.

globaltemp.jpg

Ok, here are Scotese's credentials: http://www.uta.edu/geology/Geohomepage/Faculty%20Pages/scotese98.htm

Christopher R. Scotese, Associate Professor, Ph.D., University of Chicago, 1985. Research interests include plate tectonics, paleogeography, and paleoclimatology. The PALEOMAP Project, which produces lithologic maps of the past configuration of the continents and ocean basins, is the primary focus of this research.

I never said it hasnt been alot hotter than before now. Of course it has!! I just stated fact and that is: If sea temperatures were to rise by a few degrees the ice caps would completely melt. I am not saying they havnt melted before, shut up and actually bother reading what im saying before commenting. I didnt think i needed to go in to more details than i had i was just explaining peoples stupid misunderstandings. Ive already written 2 a4 pages on this just explaining statements already said. (just like if you bother to read my posting i said that i didnt say space had become more volatile just merley that it is!!)

In future people please read postings instead of trying to insinuate something an individual has never said. I expected more intelligence on this forum than the average frenchman but obviously i was mistaken.

What I was getting at is that if, and when the sun heats up and melts the ice caps, it is not neccisarily going to make the planet uninhabitable.

It is certain that within the next few thousand years the earth will be un-inhabital (due to the sun)

You seem to assume that humans and animals will be the same as they are now in the next few thousand years. Since you seem indicate this process may take thousands of years; it is most likely that things will have gradualy evolved to the new conditions as they come to be. Humans could adapt physically, or technologically to survive changing condions such as tempeature rise and sea level rise. Animals could also adapt.

Some animals, maybe humans, will likely go exticnct in this process, but just because the conditons change dosn't mean that the world will be uninhabitable.

After all the Biosphere, and life in general has mutated and survived all the previous warming and cooling cycles, why not this one?

I don't know about this all but I think it was sunday or saturday I was outside at like 1 am and the moon was pretty fricken close. Maybe I was out of it, but it scared the crap out of me. I even went as far to check the news.

No I was not on drugs. O_O

Yes i see your point just like the dutch have coped with raising sea levels and have contingency plans for the future but any change which isnt transitional would cause mass social problems as well and alter life as we know it even though. I would class having to live floating on sea water with limited desalination facilities as uninhabitual. Im just suggesting that a rise in sea levels might not give us time to found a society that floats on the oceans.

Also i dont have much faith in our technology and how quickly we could react. I think the best method to ensure human survival is to scatter our seeds throughout the galaxy as soon as we can.

Can you add Sources? What did it do to the invironment?

You keep on saying that you arn't seeing this mentioned or can't find any info about it. Just use google. I typed in "meteor norway" and the first hit told me all I wanted to know.

Right, one stupid person at a time. First CPL and all others, yes the sun will become a red giant in the time frame you all stated but when the sun does become a red giant it will swallow mecury, heat mars to 1 million kelvin approximately and incinerate most of the inner planets of the solar system.

I hate it when people make stuff up to impress other people. Mars will not become 1 million kelvin. 1 million kelvin is a great deal hotter than the surface of the sun, only towards the core where fusion is taking place are you going to get temperatures that high. Mars will never be 1 million kelvin nor anywhere close to it.

And you should be careful about insulting people here, since you were the one who said that the earth would be uninhabitable in a few thousand years due to the sun, which pretty much removes any credibilty you may have had.

Well tycho why dont you go and tell NASA they are wrong then! Thats what they have stated in scientific journals and I think your underestimating how destructive and hot a red giant is in camparison to the sun at the moment!

And thats rich coming from you as some of you started insulting me first. I have credibility because I am correct. How many times do I have to spell it out to you retards that a relatively small change could disrupt and lead to events that make earth uninhabitual in a few thousand years. Why dont you go and read a book before you try and comment on subjects you dont know enough about.

I have credibility because I am correct. . . How many times do I have to spell it out to you retards . .

Your new to this website, but I can tell your going to fit right in! :D

Seriously though, I read Tyco?'s posts, I didn't see him insult anyone untill after you said,

Right, one stupid person at a time.

I have found several examples of insults in your posts:

How many times do I have to spell it out to you retards
I expected more intelligence on this forum than the average frenchman but obviously i was mistaken.

You seem not to sight alot of your claims, for instance in one of your posts you said the sun was warming the Earth and provided a link, but the link said nothing about making the Earth uninhabiable.

Tell me, do you compensate for a lack of information with rude behavior?

Im not the one with the rude behaviour. Im just fed up of peoples arrogance and stupidity on here .. thats rude! Read my posting properly, i never said it was evidence of the earth being uninhabitual just purely of earth warming. Come back to me once you've bothered to read posts properly.

wh666-666 a person that calls people retards and stupid is hardly the one to speak about rude behaviour.

I would suggest, regardless of whether you are right or wrong in the posts, that you first learn how to commence a healthy and good debate.

I am also quite surprised no one reported you, to be honest.

I can quite surely promise you, friend, that no one will come back to you. Perhaps it would be best if you don't come back to us, either.

~moo

Mooeypoo if you look at the first comment i made, then the rude responses i recieved after that, thats why i commented on rude behaviour that was initiated but i never meant i havnt been rude i purely meant that i wasnt the one with the rude behaviour to begin with. Are all of the members of this site so ignorant and arrogant as some (and i mean some not all) posters in this thread?

And report me if you like, I dont really care as being correct isnt anything to be ashamed of.

And yet, they didn't call anyone stupid and retarded.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it.

Anyways, please get back on topic. For that matter, I have another question: We already established that there are items flying towards us in space and that will hit earth aventually (or are in a clashing course) -- do we have anything to do with it? I'm not talking about a "heroic 'armageddon' type" action, but even a simpler one.. Is there a way to cause those type of items to get OUT of our way?

~moo

....We already established that there are items flying towards us in space and that will hit earth aventually (or are in a clashing course) -- do we have anything to do with it? I'm not talking about a "heroic 'armageddon' type" action, but even a simpler one.. Is there a way to cause those type of items to get OUT of our way?

I saw a program one on the discovery channel about a probe designed to deliver a projectile to a comet, the idea was that is an asteroid or comet were ever found to be on a colision course with earth its course could be altered slightly by a small impact decades before it would hit. Thus preventing any catastrophy.

As I stated in my lunatic god speak, you fly something big into it. You only need to knock it's course off by a degree.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, the object you fly into it doesnt even need to be that big because of how fast they'd run into each other.

Is it realistic to do that? Fly something big to it?

And I mean a good margin of error to give us enough time to actually divert the thing before impact...

Well if the impact is far enough in advance, you could drasticly change its course with something small.

So yes it is feasible

I meant is it feasible in practice.. it takes time for something to reach far objects. For instance, I know it takes a few days for a rocket to reach the moon -- so will we have enough TIME to do that?

~moo

Is it realistic to do that? Fly something big to it?

Well it's either that or calculate the launch times of hundreds of nukes so that they get there in specific spots at specific times, so that when one blows it to a bunch of pieces, the others attempt to blast the pieces into tinier pieces and so on and so fourth.

You never know, maybe the ground will open up at area 51 and a giant laser will shoot out and completely destroy the meteor.

If they announced on TV a giant meteor is comming to kill us and there's nothing we can do (which they wouldnt do because 80% of humanity is insane), atleast we all go down together. Me, You, Tom Cruise, Britney Spears, Bill Gates, all the pee-wees playhouse episodes, the teletubbies, da vinci's skeleton.

It'd be cool if aliens came down and said "We hear you have a meteor problem? Well this thing is frickin huge, so we decided to bring 800,000 gigantic spaceships to hall you guys to our planet."

You never know, maybe the ground will open up at area 51 and a giant laser will shoot out and completely destroy the meteor.

That would be something... :P

If they announced on TV a giant meteor is comming to kill us and there's nothing we can do (which they wouldnt do because 80% of humanity is insane), atleast we all go down together. Me, You, Tom Cruise, Britney Spears, Bill Gates, all the pee-wees playhouse episodes, the teletubbies, da vinci's skeleton.

I actually doubt they will, to prevent panic. But still, I am trying to think realistically:

We said up until now two important aspects.

1. Big meteors that can cause great damage to the planet are "on target" as we speak. Far away, but on target nontheless.

2. We have great difficulties tracking and finding these objects, and we find them at the "last moment".

Those two combined: Do we have a chance?? by the time we find them, will we have enough time to divert them?

~moo

Well tycho why dont you go and tell NASA they are wrong then! Thats what they have stated in scientific journals and I think your underestimating how destructive and hot a red giant is in camparison to the sun at the moment!

And thats rich coming from you as some of you started insulting me first. I have credibility because I am correct. How many times do I have to spell it out to you retards that a relatively small change could disrupt and lead to events that make earth uninhabitual in a few thousand years. Why dont you go and read a book before you try and comment on subjects you dont know enough about.

We get plenty of idiots here' date=' usually they arn't as aggresive as you are though.

I am quite aware of what is going to happen when our sun goes into its red giant phase. This will not be for at least hundreds of millions of years, if not billions. If you can show me a NASA paper, or any other reputable peer reviewed paper that says the sun will go into a red giant phase in [i']a few thousand years[/i], I will take back what I say. (or if you can show me that a red giant sun would cause temperatures of 1 million kelvin on mars).

My position is that you made up some bullshit. Post your sources, show me that the sun will go red giant in a few thousand years. Show me that it will result in temperatures of 1 million Kelvin on mars. Since you arn't going to do that, shut the hell up.

That would be something... :P

I actually doubt they will' date=' to prevent panic. But still, I am trying to think realistically:

We said up until now two important aspects.

1. Big meteors that can cause great damage to the planet are "on target" as we speak. Far away, but on target nontheless.

2. We have great difficulties tracking and finding these objects, and we find them at the "last moment".

Those two combined: Do we have a chance?? by the time we find them, will we have enough time to divert them?

~moo[/quote']

Right now we would have to detect an object very early on; we would need months or years to get a mission together to be able to push any such object off course. As you mentioned, seeing these objects very early is not exactly our specialty.

I'd say; right now, we'd be ****ed. We need another 50 years of infrastructure in space, experience, technology and telescopes. Then we might have a chance.