What would you add, change, or remove?

blike

Some questions for all the members here:

• If you could make a change to SFN, what would it be?
  • What would you change about the front page?
  • What would you remove from SFN?
  • What have you seen on other forums that you think we should have?

For the front page, there's a lot. I've made threads in Suggestions about it before, but I'll try again here.

First, the sidebar on the left looks bad. The link text is as large as the headings, and that doesn't look right - perhaps we should lower the link text size some.

Second, perhaps we should shrink the active topics list or move the news posts up somehow. Active topics aren't all that interesting for a newcomer.

Finally, we need to update the welcome message. I know it's better than the default, but it still could use a bit of love.

@yourdadonapogos: Member Spotlight or Member of the Year Awards?

What would you change about the front page?

Reduce the number of links in the left column. "Staff", "Contact Us" and "Contact a Moderator" could as well be the same link. "Forum FAQ" and "SFN Ettiquette" could be merged. "So you´ve got a new theory" could as well be a sticky in the speculations forum. I wonder if someone ever seriously used the "Members List" button. I tend to do a search for the name when I´m looking up someone rather than browsing 150 pages of names.

I would like inactive(inactive for like a month or so) older post to be editable/deletable, this way in case you said something you don't want to keep on here you can delete it.

It would still have all the advantages of the current system, because if someone was having a debate, they couldn't change what they said, and if someone looked like a goof-ball, they couldn't change it mid flight, so it wouldn't create the annoyance of the ability to edit anytime, but if there was something on there you wanted to remove, you could do it, so long as other members weren't posting in that thread, and so long as it was old enough.

Another advantage of this, is if it's an older post, and you delete it, then it eliminates wasted space on the server, which can be put to use in other areas.

Also, I would make it so replies in the Announcements forum don't have to be checked before posted, and that we can edit our posts here.

It would also be cool if WiSci was somehow featured more on the home page. I think it has potential, it's just that very few people use it. Maybe this will help.

I would like inactive(inactive for like a month or so) older post to be editable/deletable, this way in case you said something you don't want to keep on here you can delete it.

That's unlikely to happen. Imagine how discussions would look if someone went back and deleted half of their posts in it. People still look at old threads when they're in search engine results or they just want answers.

Another advantage of this, is if it's an older post, and you delete it, then it eliminates wasted space on the server, which can be put to use in other areas.

I don't think there's much of a problem with server space currently.

Also, I would make it so replies in the Announcements forum don't have to be checked before posted, and that we can edit our posts here.

That might be nice, although some people seem to think this forum can be more off-topic than the others.

It would also be cool if WiSci was somehow featured more on the home page. I think it has potential, it's just that very few people use it. Maybe this will help.

I agree.

I like it all generally.

Maybe you don't need a "Submit News" link on the homepage.

Also you don't need a link to the homepage on the homepage!

I also use the member list.

Maybe we could get a link to the calendar as well. I occasionally look at that to see if there are any birthdays coming up!

I feel bad saying this, but IMO I don't feel we need to promote WiSci more. It's a great idea and all, but just like I dislike MSN Search for trying to be a Google (which it will never be), I don't like WiSci for trying to be a wikipedia, which I feel it will never be.

That Member Spotlight thing was alright, if people are willing then go for it!

Maybe if we could somehow get only the headlines (ie. no body) of the News articles we could fit more into a space. If we shortened the Active Topics and combine that with only using headlines (which will hyperlink to the articles) we could fit a lot into a small space.

Finally someone mentioned the links should be smalled. Whilst I see where you are coming from I like them the size they are. They're big, easy to see and obvious - as I use them more than anything else on the homepage I like them that way.

Some questions for all the members here:

• If you could make a change to SFN' date=' what would it be?
    [*']What would you change about the front page?
  • What would you remove from SFN?
  • What have you seen on other forums that you think we should have?

A reciprocal question, for you blike, is:

what are your goals for the site?

What would you like it to be that it isnt already, or what preserve and foster? Do you especially want to increase traffic: up the posting rate? Or do you not care so much about numbers and want to improve things in other directions.

My last post seems to have not gone through (appologies if it was just deemed 'crap' -- won't resubmit again if this one goes awol)

SFN now has lots of sites/associated sites -- this one, death to creationism, wisci, origins debate, and the upcomming philosophy and religion forum (and the chat room, i suppose).

Might it be an idea, as this is the mother site, to have the SFN homepage act as a portal to all the other sites as well as this one?

If you could make a change to SFN, what would it be?

Perhaps earth sciences would be good again. They were a dud before but with all the climate change threads around it might be an idea. Maybe as subsection of physics, dealing with climatography, physical oceanography and geology.

What would you change about the front page?

There's two places to sign in. I don't see why.

What would you remove from SFN?

That weird blike character.

What have you seen on other forums that you think we should have?

Sexy dames and plenty of 'em.

Perhaps earth sciences would be good again. They were a dud before but with all the climate change threads around it might be an idea. Maybe as subsection of physics, dealing with climatography, physical oceanography and geology.

I agree. Also something for meteorology is needed.

Not really sure wether this should go here or in the suggestions/comments forum, but how about a better poll module?

One that could tell you correlation in multiple choice polls, and how many people voted?

I know.. I know. A games section. We had one didnt we, and I think it got lost while updating or something. But a games section would be awesome. Science and fun go hand in hand. It's going to be so awesome. *giving that nerdy look*ba6.gif