Windows Vista: Wireless Connections

Sayonara

How in god's unholy name does one change the WEP key for a wireless connection in the dratted mess of a Windows Vista network manager?

Answer me or feel the wrath of an evil duck with a corkscrew where its beak should be.

Err, firstly you format. Then you instal winXP and do it the proper way!

:embarass:

How does the network manager compare to XP? (I haven't used Vista yet, a good comparison would be useful!)

Well at least I've got that duck off my conscience, now I can sleep in peace! ;)

You didn't answer my question, yet you still dared post! The duck is coming for you!

Basically they have made it into a panel that shows you pictures of things and changes the name of everything you have previously learned the name of, and gives you properties for things you would not expect and no means of modifying things you would almost certainly need to tweak.

So... it's a pile of bantha poodoo.

If it's anything like the way it's done in XP, you tell the windows wifi network manager thingy to shut up and use the one that came with the hardware, possibly with lots of swearing.

Sayo, I suspect that for ease of use they've just removed it... No security for you boy :P

It actually sounds worst than the windows 2000 -> windows XP change in terms of menus and options, and that was damn annoying, hide everything usefull :'(

Given that windows is supposed to be the 'easy' OS, i'd have thought that the GUI would be good :rolleyes:

it looks as if you can go Change connection settings > security > network security key.

as for how you get to 'change connection settings', i have no idea.

from here > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0406.mspx#EHC

Changing the WEP Key in Vista:

1. Click Start button

2. Click Network from the right column in the start menu

3. Click Network Center from the horizontal menu bar

4. Click Reorder wireless networks

5. Double click the wireless network you wish to edit

6. Click Security tab

7. Change the encryption type and network security key

8. Click OK