pretty sweet little eye exam :D

VendingMenace

DO NOT CHEAT FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS, It's Funny!!!

Quick Eye Exam...

This will blow your mind...!

Just do it -- don't cheat!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try this its actually quite good.

But don't cheat!

Count the number of F's in the following text:

FINISHED FILES ARE THE

RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC

STUDY COMBINED WITH THE

EXPERIENCE OF YEARS

Managed it?

Scroll down only after you have counted them!

OK?

How many?

Three?

Wrong, there are six -- no joke!

Read again!

FINISHED FILES ARE THE

RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC

STUDY COMBINED WITH THE

EXPERIENCE OF YEARS

The reasoning is further down...

The brain cannot process the word "OF".

Incredible or what?

Anyone who counts all six F's on the first go is a genius

Three is normal.

yeah, i only saw three, and i used the mouse cursor like YT! lol.

The brain cannot process the word "".

What does that weird sentence mean?

I think what it means is that normally we tend to skip over the word "of" when we read. As we become familiar with reading, our minds get used to patterns and we learn to process these patterns rather than the letters themselves. "OF" is so short and so prevelent in english that you mind recognizes extrememly fast -- so fast that it usualy does not even register.

I think this is a similar phenomenon to that one research article that talked about how all the human mind really needs to recongnze a word is the first and last letters. All the other letters of a word can be scrambled around and you will still understand what the word is, pretty easily too.

So i think that is the point. People who have alot of expreience reading recongnize word patterns so well that the letters of the words loose their meaning. Cool.

yeah, making it a multi-faceted "trick" would explain the variety of difference in the experience and results.

it has to be a combination, else it would fall on 2 distinct sides, and it clearly doesn`t. It`ll be interesting to see other results as time goes on :)

All of my friends use me to edit anything they've ever written because of my ability to catch everything like that....

it would've been an embarrassment to everyone in my family (except me) if I'd have not yoinked six F's outta that sucker

LOL, awsome. I only got three. Here's something along the same lines that yall might find interesting.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are in; the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Muffin said in post #20 :

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are in; the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

lol, i didn't even realise everything was misspelled until half way through the paragraph.

and i got 3 f's the first time too