musical instrument

computerages

hey every1~!

Over the summer I am kind of free and was wondering to get my hands dirty on a musical instrument. I like all kind of music, and all kinds of instruments... But I want to choose one instrument that is easier to learn... I am thinking about guitar.... but I am not sure whether it'd take me a lot of time....

What instrument do you recommend and why?

Any instrument is going to take time to get good. It depends on how well you want to get and much time you got. As for recommendations, play oboe! It may not be easy or quick but.....I play it! You can get a nice starting wood oboe for like $3000 dollars too.

Wow, everyone is trying to learn to play music. There are a lot of bored people out there!!!

Could you atleasr give us a versus at least. E.g. Guitar Vs keyboard.

I made a really big mistake by buying a steel stringed guitar as a beginner. If you're going for guitar get a classical/nylon string one or even better, an electric. Do NOT start will a full sized folk guitar that most country and rock singers have. You'll lose interest and get bored really easily because its too damn difficult and it kills your fingers too.

I t also depends on what type of music you like. I hate singing so I REALLY made a wrong decision as the folk guitar is made for that purpose as an accompainment of chords. Easier to fingerpick with a nylon sting to get a melody and some bass going.

I play it! You can get a nice starting wood oboe for like $3000 dollars too.

:eek: You can get a pretty good piano for that price. Have you ever had to replace it? (it broke . . . new one).

:eek: You can get a pretty good piano for that price. Have you ever had to replace it? (it broke . . . new one).

I started out with the starter model (~ $800) and then got a Loree Royal for around $6000. These will last long enough if you take care of them.

hey every1~!

Over the summer I am kind of free and was wondering to get my hands dirty on a musical instrument. I like all kind of music' date=' and all kinds of instruments... But I want to choose one instrument that is easier to learn... I am thinking about guitar.... but I am not sure whether it'd take me a lot of time....

What instrument do you recommend and why?[/quote']

My musical friends all play the piano a little bit, despite their primary instruments. My friend who is a singer has taken up the guitar as well.

Any musical instrument will take a good amount of time and devotion. I would side with my friends in embracing the piano, because the mechanics are less esoteric (not always simple, though.) Guitar is also very accessible because so many people think it's cool.

Personally I'd like to play the berimbau, didgeridoo, or one of the Chinese fiddles, because they are all so badass.

(Disclosure: my mom was a piano teacher, but I got a late start and never went too far in my training, namely Suzuki Piano Vol. 3. Played the trumpet in middle school. I tried teaching myself guitar for about a week before I decided my time --and this is just specific to myself-- would be better spent practicing martial arts, reading math books, and coding.)

I tried teaching myself guitar for about a week before I decided my time --and this is just specific to myself-- would be better spent practicing martial arts, reading math books, and coding.

Same here. I guess the fact that I couldn't even work out, on my own, how to play a note on the guitar indicated that this wasn't my thing. I lasted about 3 months before I thought "why am I still on page 3"

Weird that we have the same alternative interests.