Ignition colors of elements

Flak

Hello,

I want to know the color of the different elements when exposed to hight temperature.

By the moment I´m interested on the mix of Mg Al O, and how it can change depending on the % of each element.

High temp, but in what environment?

O2 will give a range of Many differing colors depending on what it`s oxidising, as for Mg and Al both will be more or less the same, with a slight Spectral shift for each (undetectable with your eyes).

High temp' date=' but in what environment?

O2 will give a range of Many differing colors depending on what it`s oxidising, as for Mg and Al both will be more or less the same, with a slight Spectral shift for each (undetectable with your eyes).[/quote']

Enviroment just the planet atmosphere.

well in that case you`ll have a hard time getting O2 to burn in air, it will ne a reductor of some sort.

as for Mg or Al, the same as I said above, mostly pure white (to OUR eyes) but there will be an inperceptable Spectral difference between them.

our Air is 78% nitrogen (that will play liitle to no part in the color or Oxidisation), 1% Argon (same ar Nitrogen really) and 21% Oxygen, it`s the Oxygen that will give you your reaction/color.

hope that helps :)

Hmmm... that`s difficult to determine now you introdure Tracer ammo, in WW2 most were Phosphorus tracers, now things are a little different again, often perchorate and either Barium or Strontium salts are used, IIRC the Russians Use Red (strontium) in there tracers, no big surprise there :)

but in WW2 Phos was the main tracer light (usualy every 3`rd or 5`th round depending on the circumstance).

Hmmm... that`s difficult to determine now you introdure Tracer ammo' date=' in WW2 most were Phosphorus tracers, now things are a little different again, often perchorate and either Barium or Strontium salts are used, IIRC the Russians Use Red (strontium) in there tracers, no big surprise there :)

but in WW2 Phos was the main tracer light (usualy every 3`rd or 5`th round depending on the circumstance).[/quote']

Well, Russians had more use of green and white tracers, maybe red was more common on US lend-lease planes.

This is the problem with the tracers, no one can determine the exact color, for example on US tracers some said it was red, other orange, some films show them very bright, sometimes unnoticiable.

Hello' date='

I want to know the color of the different elements when exposed to hight temperature.

By the moment I´m interested on the mix of Mg Al O, and how it can change depending on the % of each element.[/quote']

Could you please specify more precisely under which conditions?

Do you mean burning the element in oxygen (or air)? Or do you mean heating the oxide of the element to a white heat? Or even something different? I expect you will get more useful answers if you are more precise with your question.