Wireless internet.

Illuminati

Ok, first off, this is just a post for help.

I just recieved a linksys wireless-g broadband router, 2.4 ghz, 802.11g.

I got the router for my laptop so I could have internet in my room without the wires. The laptop is a dell E1505 and has wifi internet access built in and works at the same frequency as the router.

I hooked it up yesterday, installed the software on the desktop, it works as a router, however my laptop is not detecting any wireless network.

Any ideas?

The SSID name is the same on all pieces of equipment, I'm on the same channel, so I have no idea.

I'm at a loss.

Thankyou in advance for any help you give me.

/me also would like to point out that you can make any comp act like an access point if you have The Knowledge...

Is the SSID hidden?

Is there any physical way to deactivate the wifi card on the laptop (on mine there's a switch which has to be thrown for it to work)?

What OS are you running on the laptop?

Have you used the laptop with any other wifi network before?

Does your laptop support 802.11g?

Are you using the wifi network with any other device in the same room?

It could just be a signal strength issue, although I assume you would have tried them next to each other...

Oops, yea.

Both computers are running on xp.

The router is something I ordered. It hooks up through my dsl modem, and then from the router to my desktop so that it has internet.

There really shouldn't be any signal strength issues because I'm sitting right next to it typing this. Still nothing.

My laptop supports 802.11g/b.

The wifi card is internal, all I have to do is click deactivate to turn it off on the network list.

Have you tried disabling all the security on the accesspoint and trying to just search for a broadcasting network?

Have you got it locked down so that only certain mac adresses will work with the router?

Yes' date=' I've got it so that only my mac address is able to access it.

However, I have yet to disable all security, I'll try that one next.[/quote']

Start off simple; no mac filtering, no wpa key etc. this way you know if

a) your hardware / driver is bad or

b) you typo'd somewhere

Then slowly build up your security, wpa key; mac filter et al.