Why Does Water Make Me Sick?

I know it has been many years sinc eyou posted this. I have had this same problem all my life and i am now 60. My doctor has seen the results and told me (as have a few others over the years) it is all in my mind. I said the reason I do not like water is not because I don't like it personally but because my whole life, even as a baby taking a bottle as my mother told me many years ago, I would get physically ill whether the water was warm or cold (cold was actually a bit better) . I tried bottled and distilled and it wasn't any better and it wasn't any different from tap water,

Asa result I am almost alway under-hydrated and show the signs in my blood and urine. I have had a couple doctors tell me, a few years ago when I lived in Florida (one a gastroenterologist and one a urologist) that they have heard of other people with the same problem but knew nothing of the cause or a treatment. That was 13 years ago and I am in Michigan now and have been for the last 9 years.

So I decided to try a search online and found your chats in the first 4 attempts and it was the only one that was similar to my problem, so I wondered if you have gotten anywhere. Like you, I can drink milk and soft drinks and juices (not kool aid or anything made with water though except the carbonated water in pop "but even that I can only drink in small sips usually) and carbonated plain water is the same as plain water.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

This happens to me, and has happened since I was a child. I have a theory with a very simple explanation - you are dehydrated. The fest is, large doses of water well make anyone dehydrated, with the potential to kill them. Your body may be so used to existing at a dehydrated state that it's sending false messages to your brain that your intake is at dangerous levels. If you don't drink waste very often because you don't like it, you may be like me and consume a lot of diuretics, only adding to your dehydration problem. My advice (and hopefully I will follow my own advice) is to stay away from soda, coffee, tea, and cranberry juice, and to drink milk and juice diluted with water, while upping your "dosages"of water slowly. I find that I can handle only about ten sips of water during my normal state of dehydration, but can drink an entire cup when extremely dehydrated (that is, when I can actually tell that I'm thirsty without having to think about it).Let me know if this works out for you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh so good i am not alone . I hate still water, it tasteless and always makes my stomach ache almost directly after drinking it, and also after that to feel less discomfort and pain i need to drink some milk or eat yogurt or few spoons of creme fraise . But its all fine if i take sparkling water. Also I can add honey or squash to still water, however I have after strange feeling in stomach but at least not pain . People don't believe me if i say i don't take water at all, but its true in total i take no more than 3-4 liters of pure still water per year. Don't know how to explain such weird staff

• 2 months later...

Same here, any type of water free, bought, given, accidentally swallowed makes me nauseas, I hate it, I know I need it, every time I tell either a Dr or friend or relative they don't believe me or think its in my head, but it's not, it really makes me sick, I've tried adding lemon, a bit of sugar, warm or cold, expensive, cheap, tap, NOTHING HELPS!

I take a lot of medication and vitamins I don't want to mess up my much needed essential organ!

• 7 months later...

so happy?? to see that the original poster and a few others have my identical problem. i only searched the net on this after having drunk what was for me the rare glass of water w a wedge of lemon. i felt like i was going to throw up. the scratchiness in the back of my throat is always a given with water. i love milk and drink pure juice. i have never liked soda - never drank it as a kid, so it is a moot point. and gatorade? anything with HFCS and dyes has always been unthinkable. Evian does not create the scratchy throat, but other waters do. sparkling water like Pelligrino is also preferable. i reside in a desert country, so drinking water is important. i usually only drink it by adding a bit of juice. i am also vegetarian and probably very alkaline - and the water could be making the alkaline level go too low. that's an interesting point. i will get some pH papers and test that. in the meantime, the pee is clear because i do drink it with juice - i'm not skipping it altogether. and keep a peace of mind knowing that water is also in everything we eat. i think americans have begun freaking out too much about water - dr. evil wants you fluoridated - heavily sedated. get water filters and consume lots of coconut oil and cilantro - to bind with aluminum and mercury - at least. listen to your bodies, folks. can't believe four years have gone by since this guy first posted, and nobody's got a definitive answer. :P

• 8 months later...

ok I have a theory and anyone who gets sick from drinking water should think about these factors

• do you ingest a lot of caffeine?
  • Are you on a blood pressure medication?
  • Are you on a ppi? like nexium?
  • Have you had kidney stones?
  • Are you stressed (of course you are)
  • do you ingest a lot of sugar (soda, energy drinks, candy, white flour, white sugar, ice cream, fruit punch lemonade?)
  • do you smoke cannabis regularly
  • IS YOUR WATER FLUORDATED?
  • Joint pain? or weak bones? bad teeth?

If some of the above are true and you get sick from drinking water try increasing your magnesium input. you can take a supplement, or eat foods such as

• Chocolate
  • Dark Rice
  • Almonds
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Spinach
  • Sesame
  • Pumpkin Seeds

You can rub magnesium oil on your skin or very healthy take an epsom salt bath, which contains both magnesium and super important sulphur.

Please any sufferers try this and let me know how you feel.

ok I have a theory

Why should anyone take your theory seriously? What double-blind studies have been done? Which journals have the results been published in? Which other researchers have confirmed it?

• IS YOUR WATER FLUORDATED?

I don't think my water is dated. It is fresh out of the tap every day.

or eat foods such as

• Chocolate

Well, that is always good advice.

I was puzzled by the reference to magnesium "oil"; turns out it is an aqueous solution of magnesium chloride. The world's first low-oil oil.

• 2 months later...

All the more truly, I think your issue is likely psychosomatic. This is not implied as an affront. I have a psychosomatic reaction to eating certain fish. I know where it originated from - a terrible episode of sustenance harming numerous years prior. My body discovered that certain fish tastes are bad, and it "spares" me from making so as to hare me queasy every time I eat solid enhanced fish. I know this is simply in the brain, yet that does not decrease the issue. I think you have a comparable issue with water. It can't be physical, since you take in water in any beverage, paying little respect to the flavor.

I like this thread too and was happy? to see others with a similar problem, misery loves company, not really, just nice to know that there's someone else out there can relate. I get nauseous if I drink ANY plain water at a normal rate, not so bad if I sip it but makes it hard to swallow vitamins. Like previous posters, when I tell someone about it, I get the same reaction, it's all in your head. It's not and unless you're a psychiatrist who has examined us, you really should stop saying it.

This thread has given me some insight as to the possible causes, the pH level is something I will check into, that could make a lot of sense. The body is an extremely complicated mechanism that even the doctors and scientist are still discovering new things daily. When I was a kid, we had that 5 second rule, mainly because eating a little dirt didn't hurt and could actually help until we pesticided ourselves to death. Dirt was full of 'good' bacteria that all these 'anti-bacterial' soaps that we use along with shots of antibiotics for every sneeze, are killing off. We sterilize everything but our bodies are a caldron of micro-organism, most of them doing the good things we need done. FYI 100 trillion microbes in the average gut, 37 trillion cells in the human body, bacteria out number us 3 to 1. Throw in enzymes, vitamins, minerals etc and if some of them are out of balance, who's to say you can't be 'allergic' to water.

Jamie, saying it can't be physical is just plain ignorant. There are people 'allergic' to water touching their skin, tell them it's psychosomatic as their skin is blistering off their bodies because they got caught in a spring shower. It's not common but it does happen.

As for a cure or at least a possible reason, at the moment I'm working on the possibility that this might be one of the symptoms of my gut being "out of balance". I have already been tested and found that I have a defective gene (MTHFR) that makes my body process folic acid (B9) very inefficiently causing all kinds of problems, including anemia and maybe this is another one of them. I don't have IBS but tested positive for other gastrointestinal problems that seem to be getting better by adding probiotics among other things.
My suggestion is trying probiotics, digestive enzymes and folate. It's taken me about 6 weeks to see a slight change in the water thing but a significant change in all many of my other symptoms. I also cut out ALL diet drinks including the flavorings for water, like MiO. Previously that was the only way I could drink water, I did wean myself off of that by adding less and less each time.
Hope that helps
Edited by Jpony

• 3 weeks later...

i think its something in the water that you are having a reaction to. make sure its not from the food you eat, you might be eating something before you drink water and are having a delayed reaction.if not you could either have a reaction to a bacteria in the water or be allergic to something in it. look at all the variables, have you recently moved to a new place? maybe you haven't gotten used to the water, or it might just be a reaction to something else that is going on in your body and water makes it worse. I don't know I am not a doctor. i hope it goes away , sometimes ailments like that go away but if you say you feel dehydrated whatever it is you should treat it as soon as possible.

If probiotics help I would suggest it is related to acid reflux. I have had a dislike for plain water all my life but it got worse when I developed acid reflux. My doctor proscribed probiotics for my acid reflux which helped both problems.

I'm also pretty sure that it is related to what another poster said about dehydration as once I'm dehydrated drinking water gives me the stomach pains they describe but once I have hydrated additional water in any quantity does not produce the symptoms. I have no idea on the mechanism that accounts for this.

• 1 month later...

Just like someone else here said....for me, it's related to food poisoning! I ate something three days ago that clearly had something wrong by the way I felt afterwards. And twice since then, drinking water pushes my stomach into cramps, feeling like a football is in it, and almost throwing up!! And this has so far only happened in the evenings. I was sick as a dog last night after drinking, but held in the idea to throw it up. If it's just water, I don't want to throw it up. I need water!

Edited by Remington

IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion. Everyone in their life has at some point symptoms consistent with IBS , for a short duration at least . So beware of any diagnosis of IBS . Having said that , discuss it with your doctor(s).

And no such response to water is seen in IBS .

PS.: @wolfhnd: probiotics don't help in acid reflux , at all . They may have worked for you , either as a coincidence or due to the problem not being entirely due to acid reflux but flatulence / enteritis .

IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion. Everyone in their life has at some point symptoms consistent with IBS , for a short duration at least . So beware of any diagnosis of IBS . Having said that , discuss it with your doctor(s).

And no such response to water is seen in IBS .

PS.: @wolfhnd: probiotics don't help in acid reflux , at all . They may have worked for you , either as a coincidence or due to the problem not being entirely due to acid reflux but flatulence / enteritis .

A meta analysis in the World Journal of Gastroenterology concluded that ‘The use of probiotics plus standard therapy was associated with an increase in the H. pylori eradication rate, and a reduction in adverse events resulting from treatment in the general population’.

Two contentions :

1) Acid reflux is not caused by H pylori . H pylori causes acute / chronic gastritis. In fact recent studies have shown that the prevelance of H pylori is less in GERD patients than general population .

2) Probiotics have only an adjuvant role in treatment of H pylori . They by themselves are never used as mono-therapy.

Two contentions :

1) Acid reflux is not caused by H pylori . H pylori causes acute / chronic gastritis. In fact recent studies have shown that the prevelance of H pylori is less in GERD patients than general population .

2) Probiotics have only an adjuvant role in treatment of H pylori . They by themselves are never used as mono-therapy.

I thought my doctor was a quack too when she prescribed them. :eyebrow:

Oh no !

It would be arrogant and presumptuous to call her so. It probably means she didn't suspect you have acid reflux. Maybe flatulence or dyspepsia , hence the probiotic .

You are being arrogant and presumptuous. If you were an MD I might let it slide but I'm pitting her experience against your arrogance at the moment.