Cell phone radiation may make brain "excitable"

Cap'n Refsmmat

A new study shows that the radiation emitted by cell phones may make regions of the brain more "excitable" - leading to researchers suggesting cell phones may play a role in disorders such as epilepsy.

The study measured the "excitability" of brain regions by strapping a cell phone to the heads of test subjects and then using pulses of trans-cranial magnetic stimulation on certain regions of the brain. Each pulse stimulates the brain, and the response can be measured through electrical activity in muscles. The researchers found that the brain was more responsive when the cell phone was switched on, suggesting its emitted radiation may affect the way the brain works.

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article.ns?id=dn9411

The study measured the "excitability" of brain regions by strapping a cell phone to the heads of test subjects and then using pulses of trans-cranial magnetic stimulation on certain regions of the brain. Each pulse stimulates the brain' date=' and the response can be measured through electrical activity in muscles. The researchers found that the brain was more responsive when the cell phone was switched on, suggesting its emitted radiation may affect the way the brain works.

[/quote']

Unfortuneatly the summary doesn't explain if they tested to see if the cellphone was merely picking up and amplifying the test signal, to test whether this signal is present just because the cell phone is on. Otherwise it's just a case of "avoid being zapped by magnetic probes while using a cell phone."

hmm...a cell phone straped to the head. Should I even start on how flawed their procedure is? Should I mention controls? Geez.

Well, if I was the scientist, I'd drop the epilesy idea, promote memory enhancement and get a grant from NOKIA.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly smallispower. Maybe i should have expanded on what i said above. In a certain call centre where i worked once we all made all of our calls on mobiles (sometimes 2 or three different handsets and calls) and had many different mobile handsets around us. It didnt cause excitability whatsoever with any members of the staff. So much so that the manager started dealing narcotics to "perk" staff up (he eventually got caught for this and the company shut down then re-surfaced as another one). Anyway my whole point was that using several different handsets all day long didnt do anything whatsoever to any staff. So interesting article but i think the only way to have legally excite and stimulate peoples minds would be to stick our heads in the microwave. Phones have RF guidelines anyway and all theories of cancer or excitabality is speculative with no real evidence.