Easy Tutorials

sriram

• 2 weeks later...

Google is definately your friend in this instance. Look for something that you'd like to make (for example, a simple PHP image gallery) and have a search on Google for some examples. It's the best way to get to know any language.

There's also the PHP tutorial which you can find at http://php.net/.

It's also VERRRRYYYYY basic.. if you want to start studying programming (specifically web programming) I would suggest going through a bit of code snippets, and reading the refferences.

When I started out PHP, that's what I did.

Download some free codes people did (make sure you start with "beginners" to try out simple coding first) from http://www.planetsourcecode.com or just look up "free php snippets" on google.

Then, when you are reading those snippets, go to php.net to seek refferences and understand the code -- tweak it, change it, and see what your changes do, so you can understand how it works.

Good luck..

~moo

• 3 weeks later...

Question: I started the tutorial (that Dak posted about) and it's going along good, but before I get very in-depth and spend a lot of time on it, I'm curious: is it possible to make a form-ish applet (with fields that accept different values) and have it export to a file, or even e-mail it out, while also being able to re-load the data from a user's computer? It may be advanced, but I'm in no rush, it's just something I'd like to get done. Basically what I'm looking at is essentially a bookkeeping applet for an online game I play.

If it's not possible in JavaScript, what language should I start learning to be able to do such a thing. I've got no knowledge about any specific languages, but I've programmed a calculator (just so you know I do know how to work my way around programming a bit) and I've worked a little with Python if it would help me to continue there.

php can easily send emails and write to files, from any data given in a form.

JS might be able to do it, but note JS is not what I'd consider a proper programming language.

The big differnce between the two is that JS is run client side, whereas something like php is run server side.

Back to the OP, Sun have a good java tutorial on their website java.sun.com or something like that...

For web stuff php is my language of choice though... You could use python with CGI, if it's what you know could be worth looking into it, I'm not a fan but alot of people love it....

PHP can do those things, and not too difficult to handle, but you will have to learn a bit of the basics first.

I would suggest getting into Databases if you want to have "bookkeeping" applet.. much more comfortable and useful with DB than with email sending, where you manually add to your own database..

~moo

• 2 weeks later...