Human Papillomavirus (HPV)

Just have a question regarding this disesase.

My ex told me she was just tested positive for it. From what Ive read, HPV encompases a spectrum of about 100 different viruses some of which cause genital warts and some that do not. She was found to have the strain that does not cause genital warts (luckily) and having been with her Im worried that I may have it as well!

This strain is asymptomatic in men from what I have read, but asside from being able to transmit the virus, are there any other negative consequences to being infected by this virus for a man from a health perspective?? Even the most insignificant of adverse effects are of interest to me.

thanks

There is a slight increase in the chances of anal cancer, among others. HPV alters the cell cycle in cells that it infects, so there is always the chance that it could lead to a neoplasm, but (depending on the serotype), males don't really have to worry - I think that the chances are about equal to that of a plantar wart leading to cancer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I know that some strains of hpv can cause cervical cancer in women but I'm not aware of the potential risks for men. However, as someone has previously mentioned, there are numerous strains and is actually extremely common so I wouldn't worry too much. I have been told by a friend that works in a clinic that the body can expel hpv on its own so if you do have it, it may not stay within your system for long.

This is not exactly a rare situation. At least 85% of all sexually active people, male and female, get the virus before marriage.

I have heard a LOT of crazy statistics about HPV. Do you have a source?

First, this is a two-year old thread. Second, for statistics the WHO is generally a good source. For specific countries there is generally some agency (e.g. CDC in the US) that provide population statistics. According to the CDC for instance,

HPV infection. Approximately 20 million Americans are currently infected with HPV, and another 6.2 million people become newly infected each year. At least 50% of sexually active men and women acquire genital HPV infection at some point in their lives.