Hobbies that you never admit....

GutZ

To your family or friends.

For me it's Anime. I have a deep obsession with hand to hand combat (or hand weaponary) anime. I have a 8" DBZ figure at work, ssj 2 Gohan (if you know DBZ, if not I will explain or just google it) standing on my desk. Luckily no one has asked what it is.

I was generally wondering since I find people interesting, what they keep hidden from most people, besides the sick and obvious ones :P

This reminds me of an old Steve Martin stand-up bit:

"I do a lot of charity work with unwed mothers. No, it's not like *that*, I'm just helping them get their start."

I collect laboratory equipment (don't tell the FBI)
Why? Do you collect it from FBI laboratories?

Stamp Collecting.

Seriously or sarcastically?

..and what ever happened to good ole Alchemy and searching for the Philsopher's stone.

FBI is pretty close minded.

... ..and what ever happened to good ole Alchemy and searching for the Philsopher's stone. ...
I've been collecting stones for awhile. Haven't come along that one, yet, tho. (Watch out! R€oR's trying to make a joke! Everybody RUNNN!!!!!)

I also like to dress as a ninja and hop around on roofs after midnight. (Watch out! R€oR's trying to make a joke! ...)

That was not a joke.

I collect brachiopod and coral fossils, and crystals if I can find them (I camp at geological-hotspots) artifacts like arrowheads, pottery shards and a coupla old horseshoes, etc.

You would like this; I have some ammonites that are fossilized with pure pyrite instead of silica. They came out of the Volga River in Russia. They are some of the most radical fossils I have ever seen. I also have a fossilized clam shell that has calcite crystals inside of it much like a geode.

I've been collecting rocks and fossils for over thirty years and it is getting hard to find really unique specimens to add to my collection.

Another problem I have is a lack of display space. My displays are packed and I don't have space to expand them so I'm limited as to how big of specimines I can buy. I don't even display all of my collection anymore.

You would like this; I have some ammonites that are fossilized with pure pyrite instead of silica. They came out of the Volga River in Russia. They are some of the most radical fossils I have ever seen. I also have a fossilized clam shell that has calcite crystals inside of it much like a geode
oooh, I've seen pics of those pyrite ammonites and you can bet I'm envious. I'm no geologist, but most of what I've got isn't impressive mineral-wise, except for one smooth ivory-white brachio with a shallow crater on the shell that got grown in with fine geode-type crystal, and a few chunks of wierd "melted" quartz. And all I've really got on "display" is a large hunk of petrified wood I use as a doorstop :embarass:

oooh, I've seen pics of those pyrite ammonites and you can bet I'm envious.

I bought it at a rock and gem show about a year ago. I had scoped over every table at the show at least twice and couldn't find anything of interest. Then I noticed the pyrite ammonites. The seller was Russian and my wife is Russian so they started talking for awhile. After a little talking he helped me pick out two of the best specimens he had. One is uncut and the other is cut in half to expose the center and polished on the cut surface. Both are nearly perfect. The cut one is amazing. It is so intricate that it is more complex than humanly possible to reproduce, so there is no doubt that it's real. Each air pocket in the shell looks like a mini pyrite geode. The outside of the shell is a slightly shiny brassy color. The cut surface and the inside of the shells are a classic bright and shiny golden pyrite color.

I'm no geologist, but most of what I've got isn't impressive mineral-wise, except for one smooth ivory-white brachio with a shallow crater on the shell that got grown in with fine geode-type crystal, and a few chunks of wierd "melted" quartz. And all I've really got on "display" is a large hunk of petrified wood I use as a doorstop :embarass:

I try to make note of all rock shops in areas I travel and make sure to stop. When they are small mom and pop shops you can usually strike up a conversation with the shop owner and sometimes they will bring out or show you that very special specimen. Most of my recent acquisitions have come about as a result with talking with the shop owner who shows me that really unique item.

Remember I've been collecting rocks and fossils for over 30 years since I was a little kid, which has given me a long time to accumulate a good collection. In fact some of my first memories revolve around to collecting stones. If you always keep an eye out for that really unique specimen and are selective as to what you buy, you will over the years build a fantastic collection.

One thing I have found helpful with my collection is keeping it sealed behind glass to keep the dust out and reduce damage to my specimens. This is what is slowing down the growth of my collection as I don't have room to add another glass case. I design my cases such that they take time to open because the plate glass front is screwed in place so that people don't ask me to open them. I have also found that lighting my cases with the small under counter halogen lights on dimmer switches the best way to bring out all of the color of each specimen.

I used to collect rocks but I gave most of them away to my younger cousin, probably 50 dollars worth.

I still have a few of the cooler ones but I'm not sure where. I really like these rocks that look like eggs, you can buy them for like 5 bucks about anywhere. They're like rose-egg rocks or something.

Seriously or sarcastically?

there was an element of directed sarcasm involved, yes :)

on a Serious note, there isn`t really Anything I do that I can`t share with my family (wife esp) that I cannot admit to, certainly not Hobbies.

although an Unusual Hobby I have that I don`t tell everyone about (as it`s mostly pointless0 is that I collect Thermionic Valves (vacuum tubes) and have some that date back into the 1940`s and have over 1000 of them :)

I like to read erotic stories and literature, but I haven't really told anyone until now, I think...(I'm so ashamed:embarass: !)

I think ppl avoid revealing this kind of thing for fear of being judged by others. I agree with Yt though, if I had a wife, I coudnt live with myself if I kept secrets from her.

that's actually pretty sweet... have you worked on any games we'd know?

Nope, I've been working with the http://www.ogre3d.org graphics engine in C++, but my project is largely on hold until I "make my biggy cash" with much simplier web projects.

If I get to a real production point I'll definately post about it. :)

People know me for having an almost religious fascination with skirts, especially minis, and generally wearing short skirts everyday of the year, and talking about how much I love skirts because they are so feminine and adorable :) I have a pretty sizable collection of skirts and dresses, more than most other women.

However, most people dont know that I have an inordinate amount of Hello Kitty merchandise too, and I've been collecting Hello Kitties for 10 years.

books, i deffinitely have an obsession with books, i love collecting them, and usually try to find it in a bookshop before i go to a library. hehehe. it drives my grandmother crazy. The best book in my collection would have to be 'Leonardo Da Vinci' its a brilliant book, full glossy page pictures of his most well known sketches and paintings the books about 50 by 30 cm. and it cost me AU$400.00

....and some people say im crazy.