The 'Wanted' Thread

herpguy

This is a thread where you can post things you want in science. For example, you can give a description of a book you are looking for, and other users should recommend one. Other things you can post here that you want include magazines, videos, websites, chemicals, or anything that has to do with science. Remember: it has to be in science.

I was going to suggest this as a much needed new forum, but I think a thread will work just fine.

=============================

I'll start.

I would like a very complex book on the climate change. It needs very small details, and a lot of them. If anyone knows of a book, or even an article, meeting these requirements please post them here.

=============================

Remember to also post your wanteds here!

Well I can't help you Herpguy, but if anybody knows of any books on Quantum Gravity - introductory level. I'm not going onto the hard physics with my degree for another year or so (maths comes first unfortunately), so some background reading and resource in the subject would be welcome.

Another thing I would like is the Scientific American article from March 2005 about how humans may have stopped an ice age. It would be very helpful if anyone who has would scan it and post it here. Thanks a lot.

Lee Smolin has written a good book on quantum gravity;"Three Roads to Quantum Gravity". It is not what I would call a book for the lay-person, but if you have a basic physics background then you will be ok. Although Smolin is best known for his work on loop quantum gravity, he also talks about strings.

Reading it wont make you an expert in the subject, but it is the place to start.

Does it have to be real?

If not: I want a high-resolution, high-speed video imaging machine which can simultaneously show me the bones and muscles of an animal *and* when the muscles (or better yet, individual motor units) are active *and* the strain in the muscles/motor units.

If it has to be real: a collection of de-vemoned elapid snakes of almost all species. The procedure to do this is very difficult, though it's often done by hack-job idiots without anaethesia (resulting in a 99%+ mortality rate), but if done by a vet, it would allow me safe access to an indisputably monophyletic clade of caenophidian snakes who have a *huge* range of habitats, thus letting me explore the relationships between morphology and performance in great detail.

Mokele