Prime Num Question

Atlantic

Yes, there are negative prime numbers, but you don't have to worry about learning them. If you know the positive prime number, then you don't have far to go. The negative prime numbers are the opposites of the prime numbers.

The positive prime numbers start out with 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, etc.

The negative prime numbers start out with -2, -3, -5, -7, -11, -13, -17, -19, -23, etc.

I doubt that your teacher will even mention negative prime numbers to you. Most math text books don't even mention them.

You said -2 is prime. This is because its factors are 1 and -2 (itself). We can't include -1 and 2, just like we don't say the factors of 5 are -5, -1, 1, and 5. Therefore it is prime.

Does that sound right?

Also, does anyone know how they test a number such as blike's 2^20996011 - 1 .

That blike number is not a normal prime number it's the 40th Mersenne prime, Mersenne primes are realted by 2^p-1, and since there are only 40 Mersenne Primes then u won't be testing any of them at the moment, as for normal prime number, there is an equation it is quite long and highly defined, transposing the Nth term of the prime squenece would be eaier. I'll have to work hard and see if i can solve the Nth term.

OK by means of Mersenne Primes:

Mersenne Primes relate to exponent (e) or time ten to the power of x. The equation, is in relation to 2^n-1 is divisible by 2^n-1, when finding out whether a number (e) is a Mersenne prime we then have to use equation(s):

Since I have not fathomed out how to get my equation editor to work on scienceforums (due to my incompetence), you will have to bear with me:

So where was I oh yes equations to finalize correspondence between a number (e) and a Mersenne Prime:

Ok x and y are primes If y is divisible by Mx = 2x-1, then:

X = [+]/[-] –1 (mod8) and y = 2kp +1.

K being integer.

E.g. x =3 (mod4) be prime, then 2x +1 is also prime if it divides by Mx.

M(p) = 2p-1 and P(p) = 2^p-1(2^p-1) p is know to be a “perfect number” it has to be, to be a Mersenne. So divisible e numbers are:

2, 3, 5, 7, ….. until m12 (m= Mersenne), where perfect numbers are higher and much harder to solve, think of calculating all number 0 to 1.0x10^1666 (exclusion of 6), remember it must be divisible by Mx^ms, so well you would be there for ever, I know that they have computer programs for Mersenne Primes, but even that take forever, that is the reason for the ‘lack’ of Mersenne Primes. Although they are starting to be produced in a more increased dynamic, it will be a while for the 41st Mp I think around next year (maybe no hopes). I hope this helped explain the Mersenne number to you, if you have any more questions by all means ask away. And I haven’t forgotten about the equation for the normal primes hopefully tomorrow ill manage to crack that. And I’m also looking for triangle inside triangle pictures if anyone can get me them I would be very grateful (see post named FORMULA for more details).