Jobs in the math industry

psi20

I tried a search on the forums and didn't find anything. So what kind of jobs are there? Just as a brainstorm. I'm not particularly looking at math applications in physics or geology, but more math-focused. Also, when you find discover something in math, what do you do?

There are lots of jobs involving math, but you understand that alot of math is done on computers these days and you have to be able to take your math knowledge and build software that allows you not only input your equations but give you a read-out for the appropiate applications. This is why alot of math people are expert software writers..they have to make algorithism to solve and present their work.

That being said, there are alot of jobs. In biology, there is alot of math involved ini modeling. From neuronal modeling, to protein docking algorithums, to drug manufacturing, such as figuring out the free enegry involved in drug docking to an active site of a protein target.

Engineering jobs! You can look at things in a whole different light, figure out the feesiblity of certain projects. NASA can use math dudes. So can the military.

There are jobs in Statistics, if that's your thing. There are government agencies that revolve around and are dependent upon statisticians. Clincial trials also statiscians to validate findings.

Economics..another heavy math oriented position. The UN could use you.

Fininacial markets. Alot of hedgefunds and stock investment firms hire mathematicians to design math algorithiums that will allow them to predict the stock market, see Citigroup, JPMorgan, Globalone, etc. (Big $$ to be made here).

So keep a broad mind. I have a good friend who is a mathematician for Citigroup. The dude OWNs an co-op on New York's exclusive Central Park West, as well as real estate all over the US. He aint hurting..to the point when ever we go out...I MAKE HIM PAY FOR ME and my girlfriend and all of our other friends.

A "maths industry"? I didn't know there was such a thing!!!

I think the above post says it all. Jobs in applied maths are basically economics and finance ones. Although I think these are falling in positions and you're probably need a masters/Phd. You can also do actuarial work if you like calculating risks and probabalitys.

I'm pretty good at maths(for my age) but the only way I see making a career out of it is by going into software development/computers etc. The above that I've talked about are all "maths focused" as you put it (but I'm sure you will be using computers as well so . . .yeah)

As for the discovering the new maths formula etc. . . .I don't really know. First you have to secure it as being yours (maybe with a patent???). If its proven to be something new(doubt it) then most science journals etc will publish it.

I have a good friend who is a mathematician for Citigroup. The dude OWNs an co-op on New York's exclusive Central Park West, as well as real estate all over the US. He aint hurting..to the point when ever we go out...I MAKE HIM PAY FOR ME and my girlfriend and all of our other friends.

Hold on. Don't let go!!! You'll never be in debt ever again!!! If he asks you to jump of a cliff. DO IT.