The fifth dimension????

jordan

A freind wants me to ask this....

He was told by a freind who works inthe science field that the fifth dimension is created by lightning. Lightning traveling in a straight line would reach the ground in the same time it takes a bolt traveling in the well-know, less than direct routes. If the lightning traveling in a straight line travels at the speed of light, the one not traveling in a straight line would have to exceed the universal speed limit, thus requiring a new "fifth" dimension. I have never heard this but my friend is pretty sure. I am looking for any quick posts that could help us out.

Can you explain Occam's razor.

I'm aware the theory is flawed, blike, but he said he heard it from an engineer who worked on many space projects (designing engine systems). He said he might join now that I showed him the site. Mabey he can explain himself better.

Basically Occam's Razor is a principle used as a sort of guiding force. It roughly states that one should avoided needlessly multiplying the entities required to explain an effect.

It has numerous consequences and implications; for instance it suggests that if you have to make up something new that is not a part of current theory in order to explain your observations (IE - a fifth dimension devoted to lightning), then you are probably on the wrong tracks.

Lightning also starts from 2 points, it`ll work it`s way up from the Earth as well as down from the sky (put very basicly).

but it really is just a scaled up effect of an ordinary electrical spark :)

there`s no real mystery or magik to it, it`s just an ordinary electrical discharge, caused by accumulated ions generated by cloud friction ( a bit like the sparks you may see when taking off a wooly jumper in the dark).

there`s no Fifth dimension involved :)