AVG V/s AVAST

kenshin

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd suggest Avast.

Avast supports automatic updates, as does basically all AVs though.

It's great for low system resources (don't know how AVG compares though).

It is free and there's a paid professional upgrade if you want.

Avast best of all has a very powerful scan, as well as it's useful boot time scan feature.

IIRC, AVG has one of , if not the, lowest footprints for an AV. lower than Avast!, i believe. mind, only few AMs have notably larger than usual footprints (norton and ewido come to mind).

• 1 year later...

I am using both right now and I think they work ok . It doesnt lagged up my pc and whenever I tend to scan my computer I got no viruses anymore. But for me I do prefer the AVG anti virus since it is much easier to used and also it can removed trojan viruses.

NOD 32, in my studies a few years ago, was listed as the #1 antivirus on almost all test results and analysis. For a commercial antivirus, it's definitely one to consider buying.

However, for a free antivirus, Avast is the #1. It has a better interface than AVG, more updates, a better development team, etc. One of the reasons it's so good is because at one point it was commercial software. That bar hasn't fallen since it became freeware.

Unfortunately, AVG has fallen. Some years ago the decline began, and I hear presently it's nothing but a husk of its former glory. Both in design and functionality.

More points about avast: Avast has better adware detection, it CAN detect trojan viruses (wtf? The one that says it doesn't needs his head examined), and has some of the fastest scan times of any antivirus. It also has the best autoprotect I've seen (It virtually scans everything you do passively with no impact on your system).

AVG user here also, and have been for MANY years now.

Have you ever tried uninstalling AVG, then installing another antivirus (like NOD32 or Kaspersky) and scanning the whole PC? It'll find a lot of stuff!

Besides, the activation update of AVG takes a lot of time, and so do regular updates!

Cheers!

in all honesty I`m not all that worried about being Hacked, I used to run Zonealarm and BlackIce in tandem then I got a hardware firewall, but the way I figure it NOW, is that since I`m just a "Nobody" there`s no Real hacker going to be interested in Me or anything I have on my machines, it`s really all quite mundane stuff and would hardly constitute a Righteous Hack worth brownie points :)

In a bizarre way are right!

But it's not hacking that really concerns us, just those stupid viruses make your MSN go sing in and out, and other time-taking complications!

In other words, I HAVE BEING LAUGHED AT, and in a way that's what viruses are all about!

OK, armed with this thread I uninstalled AVAST and downloaded AVG. It took out 400 hits of virus: HTML/Framer. Still, though I cannot SAFE MODE start.

I tried Avast - couldn't stand the US accents in the update announcements. OK I could have replaced them, but I preferred AVG anyway.

I think Kapersky is the way to go if you are spending money.

Funny stuff. I visited New York relatives and thought all the newscasters tawked with a funny accent.