Deleted E-mail

herme3

Does anybody here use Hotmail? You wouldn't believe how many messages are randomly deleted from Hotmail before arriving in my inbox. People who e-mail me on a regular basis will sometimes ask me if I received the e-mail they sent a few days ago, but I never received it. There are other times when e-mail will come into my inbox very slowly, sometimes over a day after it was originally sent.

I have a form submission program on my web site that sends a message to my e-mail address whenever anyone fills out a form. I now have it send it to both my Hotmail e-mail address, and an e-mail address I setup with my web host. Usually, around 1 out of 10 messages do not arrive in my Hotmail account, but they always arrive at my other account.

I've tried adding a lot of e-mail addresses to the Hotmail safe-list, but it still doesn't make a difference. About 1 out of 10 messages will still be randomly deleted before they come into my inbox. They will not be in my junk mail folder either.

Where are all of these messages going? There doesn't seem to be any reason for Hotmail to block them. 1 out of 10 messages may not seem like a huge number, but it is very annoying if one of those deleted messages were from someone important.

Messages are not "deleted" without some trace of them coming back. Mailer daemons typically (if they reject an email) send a response back, or physically reject it before it is sent, resulting in an error message to the person trying to send the email (they will not think the mail was sent successfully). I'd say to check your form submission program to add an error reporting system if the mail sending fails, and be careful about checking the junk folder for legitimate email.

Messages are not "deleted" without some trace of them coming back. Mailer daemons typically (if they reject an email) send a response back, or physically reject it before it is sent, resulting in an error message to the person trying to send the email (they will not think the mail was sent successfully). I'd say to check your form submission program to add an error reporting system if the mail sending fails, and be careful about checking the junk folder for legitimate email.

I believe that the messages are really deleted by Hotmail without a trace. Yesterday, I sent an e-mail from my Go Daddy e-mail address to my Hotmail e-mail address. It never arrived in my Hotmail inbox, and I never received an error in my Go Daddy inbox. I believe this e-mail was accepted by Hotmail's server because Go Daddy always sends me a mailer-daemon error if I try sending anything to an invalid e-mail address. I also checked my sent mail folder at Go Daddy to make sure I typed my Hotmail e-mail address correctly.

So, where did this message go? I checked, and it's not in my Hotmail junk folder either. Since Go Daddy never sent me an error, I believe the message was accepted by Hotmail but deleted by their server instead of being delivered to my inbox.