Low Calorie Diet and Muscle Mass

Im a competitive powerlifter, about 220, 15% bodyfat, but unlike many lifters I do not sacrifice health for performance. Thus, Im going to see a nutritionist this week about starting on a life-long low calorie/highly nutritious diet. Im sure many of you have heard of the numerous studies that have been done since the 30's on the effects of very low calorie (approx. 40-50% less than what is needed to maintain one's weight), although highly nutritious, diets. They show that not only do can they significantly extend the lifespan of the mammels they've been studied on, but greatly improve the mammal's vitality in old age. For instance a mouse which typically lives 3-4 years would, on a such a diet, live up to 6, a 50-30% increase! Similar studies are being conducted on Reese's monkeys but the results are yet to be determined due to their longer lifespans however, an increase in vitality in those of old age is already apparent.

The reasons behind this phenomenon where explained in detail in a recent Scientific American (maybe march 06) but to be breif, it has to do primarily with an decrese in free radical production and an increase in anti-oxidant production (which comes back to the free radicals). Its also believed that the low calorie diet places a "stress" on the body which causes it to increase immune activity including anti-oxidant production..sort of a "use it or lose it" kinda thing.

The questions I have is 1) what do you think of this diet..are you convinced of its effectivness? Why or why not? and 2) Given that Ive a decent amount of muscle mass (about 190lbs lean mass) will I lose a considerable amount of it on a diet such as this? I have no intention of quitting powerlifting or competition but Im worried that such a diet may devistate my strength/size.