Religion Vs Medicine

gene

Well, i have read about this issue in the NEWSWEEK magazine and wish to hear everyone's views about it.

Basically it was a question of about REligion or faith is able to heal us. Well, one amazing fact that researchers have found out was that those who when to church more often had a lower mortality rate; which means they live a longer live.

the stastics are as shows,

Those who never go church at all : lifespan 72 years

Those who go to church once a week : lifespan 80 years

Those more than a week: lifespan 82 years

:)

Well, i think these are pretty interesting stastics. However religion or faith does not cure cancer or other illness that is what they found out. Yet again, those who were ill were spirituality happy, than those who do not have faith.

Well, i personally think that religion and faith are a sort of diversion of the mind which allows you to focus and not dwell on your illness. Like meditation or yoga they all have similar effects, they can sooth your mind... But why are they able to do this? Scientists have not idea and so do i. What is that powerful force that allows us to have inner serenity? Or is that so? Is there really God then?

So, can religion really be the next kind of medicine to hit the stores and be the alternative solution to cure people's illnesses?

Happy thinking! :)

I too read that article along with a few others in previous Newsweeks and Reader's Digest. I found them interesting enough to try to write a school research paper on them but the teacher wouldn't let me because she thought the topic was too advanced. The evidence does seem strong for Religion being a "medicine" but it is difficult to say wether it is the mind that makes the body better or it is God. I think you hit a key point when you said those who have faith are spiritualy happier than those who don't.

Every Religion is born to (in some way) calm peoples fear of death. Be it an afterlife, reincarnation, heaven etc.

No-ones ever going to be able to stand up and say that religions are false and gods and higher plains dont exist because its irrelevant. With all the wars created from clashes in belives i think people are missing the point thats its not the case believing in X or Y religion is good, but that you believe full stop.

60% of left handed people die as a result of using devices intended for right handed people. It could also be explained simply that people whom attend church are either much more calm and serene with less chance of a stress related death. Also, it could be said that those in strict attendance of church do not put themselves in some positions that account for the deaths of thsoe that do not attend.

I would bet that older people attend church more regularly, and this would account for the difference in statistics. You could make a study that showed that pattern balding makes you live longer, as bald people as a group are, on average, older than the hairy.

...lies, darn lies and statistics...

I think it`s more akin to a feeling of "personal well being" as it`s also been proven that having sex twice a week staves off the frequency of the common cold :)

and laughter has been proven to boost the immune system and stregthen the internal organs especialy the Liver for some reason? so having a good laff down the pub whilst drinking may not be all that counter productive :)

then there`s Church... well I know which 2 out of the 3 I`de rather be doing :)

Yeah, as stated, I think that believing in God and an afterlife will calm you. I often go into terror stricken states where I'm just afraid, cuz I don't know what is after life, or if there is a God, and so on. I doubt that'll kill me, but there is something to be said for a calm mind making a calm body.

That is a pretty shocking statistic though. I'm very surprised.

Here's an interesting (empirically based) statistic: In cases of serious illness (e.g. cancer), patients who are strongly religious have a poorer prognosis than those who are not; a higher mortality rate and a shorter life expectancy.

It's definitely patients who are strongly religious.

The theory (from a psychoneuroimmunological perspective) is that patients who place their faith in God, engender a kind of passive "it is in the hands of God" or "Whatever God wills" state. They have, in effect, abdicated personal control

The less (or not) religious tend to take on more personal responsibility for the probable outcome; more a kind of "If anything is going to happen, it's me who will make it happen" approach.

The former is more passive, and whilst it can be beneficial emotionally, those who fight and rage stand a better chance physically. State of mind is a factor in cancer prognoses. Those who fight tend to do better, live a bit longer and stand a slightly greater chance of going into remission. Not a huge effect, but statistically significant.

The irony is that type A personalities (who are at a generally higher risk of heart attacks, strokes and other stress-related ilnesses than other types) actually have quite a favourable prognosis in cases of cancer. They will get angry and fight it all the way.

Yup! I have to say that from personal experience in such matters, Glider is bang on the nail there!

"Fighters" do stand a significanly better chance than those who leave it all to some external "Fate" mechanism.

I`ve wittnessed this on MANY occasions with others close to me and also myself personaly. NO it`s NOT a "cure all" but it sure bumps up the odds a little in your favour! and lets face it, when you`re ill, you need all the help you can get! :)

it will also aid in Prevention, and recovery time for anything from a simple cut whilst preparing food, to a broken limb or the common cold.

If I have anecdotal evidence of this, and I know others that do also, I`m almost 99.99% positive that there will also be Scientific evidence to support this also, even if it is only statistical.

it has been proven that psychosomatic illness is indeed quite real, and can actualy result in physiological degradation of the organ or general wellbeing of the sufferer.

it would therefore stand to reason that an opposite effect should also be applicable :)

I am willing to bet that those who attend church regularly enjoy a prolonged lifespan only because they typically do not partake in the types of risky behavior that might serve to shorten their lives. They don't smoke, drink, do drugs, drink and drive, etc.

However, it is not true that people who believed in faith just merely let their life hand on the line. But on the contrary that faith is a kind of boost button for determination. This makes people determined to fight on and against the disease. So, i don't really agree that those who believe in religion just leave it to the "fate" mechanism.

Well, i think the point of this "faith" thing can be perceive by others as different thing. Eg, it is a hope that is worth fighting for, or that it is comforting spiritually to know that there is someone to care for you... or even faith could be a buddy to fight along with you this war against illness.