I have an invention idea

Genecks

Despite this idea being stolen from an on-looker, I decided if someone can do it faster than I can, then good riddens.

Recently I've been pondering something on and off for the past few months: What if someone could make a magnetic drawing board like the ones for children?

I notice these things work off magnetic concepts with iron fillings, but the hexagonal shapes that contain the iron fillings disable a person from making an extra fine and detailed picture. However, toys such as Pixter allow someone an electronic drawing area. Now these things are for kids, but I see uses for cranking out tons of homework problems, and a person wouldn't need paper to write out long and complex series of steps.

However, that toy is electronic and requires batteries. A magnetic board simply works off magnetics. A person only needs a stylus and the ability to swipe (or shake) the writings away. A person could carry the device in his or her bookbag. The device could be used in math or math-related courses for schoolwork. It would have many applications for engineers.

Such a magnetic board could be created for a lower cost than electronics. It would be like the new chalkboard; it would compete against whiteboards, too.

Yet I don't see any magnetic drawing boards that allow someone to create a detailed sketch.

How do you think someone would go about accomplishing this type of device?

They have already made elecronic boards, our school uses them, going back to that would be a downgrade in my eyes.

But how much do they cost?

I'm looking at ease of use, production costs, transportation, and other factors.

Your school has electronic boards; artists have electronic boards; others have a tablet personal computer. But were they affordable choices? What would be the cost to replace those electronic goods?

I had similar ideas. I was thinking of a mechanical, waterproof notepad that could be used anywhere.

What would be more efficient? Chemical, magnetic or mechanical?

Oh, and thanks for providing those links in your sig! :)

The idea I'm pushing here is reusability without need for replacement parts. The magenetic attributes allow a person to use the device like an etch-a-sketch or other magnetic drawing board.

No electricity is required. Markers will not need to be replaced. No writing utensil will need to be replaced unless lost.

The greatest downside would be the inability to erase/edit small things that were written; however, all things written could be erased if a person were to swipe the board.

I suppose the ideal magentic drawing board includes aspects of chemistry, mechanics, and magnetics to a degree.

Here's a bit of friendly advice.

Next time you have an idea for an invention:

1. Keep it to yourself.

2. Check the USPTO website to see if there is an already existing patent

3. If not, hire a lawyer.

3a Incorporate yourself.

4. Descide if there is market

4a. Get VC funding. and Get a Lawyer.

5. Get a working proof of concept and get a Laywer.

6. File your patent again another Lawyer.

7. Hire another Lawyer

8. Get another Layyer to help that Lawyer

10. Hire a Lawyer for all the other Lawyers.

yeah slate will work under water(in a sink at anyrate i just tried)

the slate i have, i got for free! theres an abandoned house not far from where i live and most of the slates have fallen off. i just picked one up. you could get them at a brickies quite cheap probably.

scicop has got it right... patents = lawyers because if you have a patent that is worth anything then someone will steal it and that's when you need the lawyer.

If you have an invention, then keep it quiet until you have it patented.

• 3 months later...

Or if you are really not in for the lawyer trouble, then write a detailed report and get it signed by your most trusting professors with proper date (or even pictures?) some kind of proof that u had in mind first.

I had a really bd experience in college when my friend made a working model of something I told him a few months back, he didnt even include my name. Sad shit happens all the time.

keep inventing though!

I can see applications of this, but slates are better, and alot of the time people like a record of what they've done for future use.

Also engineers probably wouldn't like it as there's no way to get an electronic copy which is how most drawings are done these days.

I think I've used a device like you describe before, it was a kids toy I think.

Its a decent idea for a blackboard though. The bad thing is that it may be fragile, so bumping against it or pressing too hard with the stylus may damage it (same as with electronic boards of course).