Language board.

I'd really like some language boards: romance languages, Latin, and Asian languages, such as Japanese.

From a scientific standpoint, Latin would be the very important one.

"The limits of one's language is the limit of one's world and universe."

Paraphrase of Ludwig Wittgenstein's thoughts on the limits of language.

I understand various boards on the web exist for some Romance and Asian languages. But I don't see many for Latin. I have come across one board on a different forum. The forum didn't seem very active.

If you can show us that there would be interest in such a forum (perhaps by starting a few threads about languages to see if people are interested) then we may consider it. As it is, we rarely see any discussions about languages, so there's no need for that forum now.

I think the very fact that we are talking about language and it's uses is an encouraging sign that all people would welcome. Have you ever been in a debate and suddenly found yourself stuck for that one elusive word?

Quote by Genecks: "The limits of one's language is the limit of one's world and universe."

I would say that it does not limit your world, merely the amount of colour with which you can describe it.

What would you be looking to get from a board that you can't get from posting new topics? I love the use of good language probably because my hobby is theatre directing but people in the world i think are loosing the art of good communication by the growing trend towards slang. I don't want to harp on but in yester years there was better music and hardly any TV, people gathered around the harth to talk and relay information of the day. I love this internet and this site as a springboard for discussion and am all in favour of people taking an interest in expanding their vocabulary.

This doesn't sound like a bad idea. I write often, and I know I would post a lot. So far, it doesn't look like I've contributed much on this site because I usually just read it.

It wouldnt hurt to try something out again, would it?

Although, we obviously need to stir up some interest before it can be done, and figure how it could be set up. The thing when discussing langauge, it can be split up in so many ways because it's so vague. You can talk about different languages used specifically, or the uses and purpose of language itself (but that would be getting into the philosophy of it).

How about Sanskrit, Persian, Greek etc? There's no need to show such a bias to 1 ancient language! Actually, I'm just kidding, you'd need different keyboards for a lot of those languages, besides th facts that next to no-one speaks them(I suppose that wasn't really relevant to the inclusion of Latin either).

I'd be interested in it as well, particularly for Latin: it, along with Ancient Greek, is after all the foundation in some sense of modern scientific nomenclature, and just about any scientific work you pick up from before 1850 is written in Latin.

I may be biased because I've been trying to teach myself Latin for some months now (postponing Ancient Greek, which I had done for some months before that), and did verbs for four hours this morning. I suppose it would be difficult to maintain interest, unless we had some members who qualified as experts to instruct or advise other members and such, or even just to ask questions and practise with on some languages.