Science and Nature TV Channels w/ way of life

GutZ

I am paying 10 buck a month extra for a package that gives me the discovery channel. It's the only channel I really would pay extra for. I started watching the first day I got my express Vu (Canadian Sat. for those who have not heard of it). I realise now how horrible it is. It plays "Dirty Jobs" and "How it's made" for like 14 hours of the day. Then you got American chopper, Hot Rod, Boating, Flying, Horses, Cows. Once in a blue moon I've seen something interesting like the construction of LHC. Where is all the physics/biology/psychology/chemistry? I am praying half the time that PBS has something on...

Is this just the Canadian verision? I admit we are kinda slow but come on! There has to be people out there that like some interesting or more complex material. I am already thinking of just cancelling my satilite. I admit and surely you all can admit I am no genius, but if a non-genius like me is cringing at the lack of educational complexity of TV, don't you think there is something wrong in this world?

I am paying 10 buck a month extra for a package that gives me the discovery channel. It's the only channel I really would pay extra for. I started watching the first day I got my express Vu (Canadian Sat. for those who have not heard of it). I realise now how horrible it is. It plays "Dirty Jobs" and "How it's made" for like 14 hours of the day. Then you got American chopper' date=' Hot Rod, Boating, Flying, Horses, Cows. Once in a blue moon I've seen something interesting like the construction of LHC. Where is all the physics/biology/psychology/chemistry? I am praying half the time that PBS has something on...

Is this just the Canadian verision? I admit we are kinda slow but come on! There has to be people out there that like some interesting or more complex material. I am already thinking of just cancelling my satilite. I admit and surely you all can admit I am no genius, but if a non-genius like me is cringing at the lack of educational complexity of TV, don't you think there is something wrong in this world?[/quote']

Discovery Science is where it's at. That's what you want. It's fantastic television. There are also other ones like Discovery Health, etc. The History Channels are good too, History and History International. NASA TV is pretty sweet to check in every now and again as well. They're getting more sophisticated all the time.

National Geographic Channel is overrated, but it has very good specials every now and then.

I get basic cable for my daughter but I don't watch it much anymore. I found out my local library has some of the best cable series on DVD if you don't mind being a year or two behind (I'm up to season 6 of West Wing and we just started HBO's Carnivale). The library is also good for science specials, but again, you're not going to get the latest broadcasts.

The Discovery Channel was pretty good a few years ago but it's crap now. PBS has better science programming but you may need to tape it at odd hours.

I'll check out the local library and Discovery science. They purposely take one good channel and put it in a package with other channels like the chinese news. They have single channels for sale but all the ones I want are package only deals.

P.S.

Thanks for all the info, you guys are the best, don't let anyone ever tell you different! I've spent quite a few nights going "Why did I even buy this?".

20 dollars a month. with the package I have 28. I wanted to stay with the same company as my phone (which is Bell) and I got internet for 20 bucks a month as well. Ideally I pay around 70 dollars total. Realistically I am probably going to pay between 75 - 100 a month. They get better at hiding the fine print. That and I am still trying to get hold of those bastard long distance card companies since I had a suprise on my phone bill. Every call I made on the card was on my bill, so I paid TWICE.

P.S.

woohoo 100 posts lol thanks for the notice, would of never looked, I post way too much crap, I feel guilty for have so many.