The upright stance is a problem?

pretender

Being Human has caused us a lot of problems. Our backs are weaker we also have a problem with Varicose veins and this is a problem with humans only..So why was this an advantage at the time we started walking upright, apart from seeing further.......

If you look at it in a certain way, humans are just an intermediate form from an quadraped ancestor to something much more suited for bipedal existance. Thus it is not supriseing that we have structures that aren't perfect for bipedal locomotion.

Well, our main advantage is the brain and the ability to solve problems and use tools. Most of this is done with the hands and opposable thumbs. If we still hunted, having hands free while running to throw spears etc. was probably what we relied on to survive.

and if you think about it, our backs are adequate during our youth, it's usually only later that problems arise. And in nature, a feature need only last for as long as it takes for us to breed. What's it matter if it all starts to fall apart as long as it doesn't give way until after our peak breeding ages?

Ah, I also remember that some people think that standing upright helps reduce the amount of area of the body exposed to the sun. Moving onto the plains, a standing ape would only get direct shine on his head and shoulders while the sun is above, while it would fall across a quadrupedal ape's back and such.

This link points out some of the general ideas

DO YOU FEEL THAT WE NEEDED TO BE UPRIGHT.We are not faster for being upright. the only advantages that I can see are, being able to see farther and use of hands to carry, aws was said before

You don't think that hands, and the brains that evolved to make use to them, have given us an ENORMOUS advantage over any other creature on earth?

• 1 month later...
You don't think that hands, and the brains that evolved to make use to them, have given us an ENORMOUS advantage over any other creature on earth?

True, it has given us an advantage, even when we're deprived of our precious technology. However, it seems to me that there's still some evolution left in regards to our cognitive ability, because we seem about to think ourselves out of existence (BOOM!).

We are by no means a perfectly evolved creature - and considering that bipedal posture is a recent addition in our evolutionary development (relatively) it would make sense that it would be one of the less developed aspects.

Everytime I go to the darn dentist I curse Darwin a little (I believe in shooting the messenger) because frankly, I really wish we had a few more million years of evolution behind our chompers.

Still, I am glad the whole "big brain" thing worked out - at least this way I can get a dental plan.

• 2 weeks later...

...I'm sorry? Was that meant to imply that we do not? Hmmm...I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'advantage.' It would be impossible to tell in a one-on-one fight, no tools, because no matter where you do it, ocean or land, one of the creatures would have a distinct disadvantage, simply because the dolphin or the human would be in an area where they would not have evolved to be. However, with tools, a human would win anywhere, anytime. Since the use of tools is part of our evolutionary history, I think we can say that humans have an advantage ove dolphins. If you want, to make it fair, we can give the dolphin a gun and a speedboat and a mini-fridge as well.

I like the uptight stance, it makes me taller than most dogs, and I dont have to wear shoes on my hands. Ever tried wearing shoes on your hands? not easy to pick your nose. Saves on trouser material, too.

I like the uptight stance, it makes me taller than most dogs, and I dont have to wear shoes on my hands. Ever tried wearing shoes on your hands? not easy to pick your nose. Saves on trouser material, too.

My sentiments exactly, plus, have you ever tried tieing a shoelace with shoes on your hands, and what about tieing the shoelaces on the shoes on your hands !?! No wonder we walk upright.