How high can you hear?

bascule

Are you sure you can hear the 21000? Most speakers can't go up that high and the webpages I looked at said 20000 was the range for human ears. (Does anyone know if this is accurate? I found many pages saying 20000 so it seems to be agreed.)

No, it's not. Redbook compliant CDs have to be mastered with a low-pass filter at 20kHz.

That has nothing to do with sample rate, except that sample rates are determined by weighing the highest frequency desired with space available on the medium you are writing to. The CD sample rate is 44.1 Khz, at 16 bits per sample, whether the sound is lowpassed or not. Sample rate does not mean highest frequency possibly recorded, it means samples per second.

That has nothing to do with sample rate

That's not the part I'm responding to:

They can only produce sounds up to 22050hz in frequency (with great difficulty). This part of the spectrum is reserved for cymbol highs, triangles highs and the like, as well as the upper harmonics of other sharp waveforms.

Redbook compliant CDs do not utilize the 20kHz-22kHz range at all.

Isn't it the frequency of the AC current, ie 50~60hz?

Yep.

The frequency of the electrical system varies by country; most electric power is generated at either 50 or 60 Hz. See List of countries with mains power plugs, voltages and frequencies. Some countries have a mixture of 50 Hz and 60 Hz supplies.

From wikipedia

That's not the part I'm responding to:

Redbook compliant CDs do not utilize the 20kHz-22kHz range at all.

You said "No it's not," implying that you disagree with my sentence that said:"This part of the spectrum is reserved for cymbol highs, triangles highs and the like, as well as the upper harmonics of other sharp waveforms," which is in no way un-true. The upper audible octaves (which actually disclude 20-22Khz) are "reserved for cymbol highs, triangles highs and the like, as well as the upper harmonics of other sharp waveforms." I never specifically mentioned a range. I'd call that vague, not erroneous.

If you were referring to "they can only produce sounds up to 22050hz in frequency (with great difficulty)," well, yes they can. Redbook is not applied to CD audio automatically (although some CD burning applications do have settings to, such as the "CD At Once" settings on Nero et al., or so I have read.)

And I would love to see where you read that the Red Book standard implements a cutoff, as I could find you dozens of definitions of the Red Book standard that don't mention it, and none that expressly do (though one or two seem to hint at it, which is strange for technical documents). Most just list the dimensions of the physical disk, details on the track data info and the sample and bit rate specifics I detailed earlier.

I'm not doubting you here, but I have never read the IEC 908 standards document. At present it costs $200 US to download the PDF, so I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon ;). However, if you have a copy... *wink wink, nudge nudge*