Teen Repelent

Nevermore

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am deeply apposed to this, and consider it a viciouse predjudice. Damn discriminating, we should ban all old people from going to anywhere remotely trendy, and if they do go there prod their eyes untill they leave...

I am deeply apposed to this, and consider it a viciouse predjudice. Damn discriminating, we should ban all old people from going to anywhere remotely trendy, and if they do go there prod their eyes untill they leave...

So a dance club that plays music that the older generation tends to find annoying — that should be opposed as well, eh?

So a dance club that plays music that the older generation tends to find annoying — that should be opposed as well, eh?
You're certainly smart enough to see the error in that remark. They listen to that music because for some reason their twisted little brains like it. This repellent buzz is intended for no use other than repelling specifically.

Shops and other various teenage hangouts have devised a really god damn annoying way to keep unwanted adolescents away. A high pitched whine audible only to people under 25. There's a link to the sound at the bottom of the article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/articles/2006/04/04/mosquito_sound_wave_feature.shtml

My ears hurt!:-(

mmm... does that mean that when i turn 25 i'll suddenly lose the ability to hear high pitched noise? Interesting. maybe it'll be due to too much hanging out in dance clubs (as someone pointed out earlier).

If it's purpose is the removal of a certain group, whether they be young, old, male female or any other subsection of society, then yes it should...

not only is this prejudice against adolescents, but it is also indiscriminat -- many post-adolescents can hear it too.

so, it deserves kudos for managing to be discriminatory and non-discriminatory all in one go.

It should be banned imo.

incidentally, did you hear about the savvy teen's who adapted this idea and used the high-pitched tone as ring-tones, so they could send SMSs in class?

Shops and other various teenage hangouts have devised a really god damn annoying way to keep unwanted adolescents away. A high pitched whine audible only to people under 25.

wat about teens who r listening to music, they can't hear it right?

That isn't annoying at all. After I listened to it a few times it actually started to become a catchy tune.

I am completely against this, though.

In a different palce I've read about it in, the article said that many storekeepers use the device.One of these days my mom is going to make me go to the store with her. As I'm walking, I will hear that noise, so I will tell my mom. She won't believe me, and we'll get in a huge, pointless argument.

Also, it doesn't make any sense to me. If a store isn't allowing teens near there, then wouldn't a large portion of the store's business be lost?

Edit: I have a headache now. I'll do some testing when my headache goes away to see if the noise is causing it, then I'll report back here.

Hehe. It's not like suddenly at 25 you lose the capacity to hear it. Human hearing range gradually narrows over our whole lives, and 25 just happens to be the average age at which this frequency becomes inaudible.

im 15 and i cant hear a thing, not even after turning my reciever all the way up and playing the sound through my jbl l100 centurie (actualy my dads) studio monitors, and without any bass enhancements or anything. Lol owned.

if it wasn`t for the media player progress bar moving, I wouldn`t have known it was playing anything at all!?

how very odd, even with the volume up, nothing, only what sounded a bit like distantant voices and the odd crack at times.

I`ve saved the MP3 to file, I have a 50 watt mono amp laying about doing nothing, I think I`ll hang a speaker out my window come pub closing time to see what happens :)

just out of curiosity, I wonder if it affects Mosquitoes or insects at all?

That isn't annoying at all. After I listened to it a few times it actually started to become a catchy tune.

if it wasn`t for the media player progress bar moving' date=' I wouldn`t have known it was playing anything at all!?[/quote']
All I hear is a bit of a whine that's just barely audible.

I found that my 5.1 speakers weren't up to the task of reproducing this sound properly. I played it, and it seemed to be between 5-9Khz, and pulsing, like tuning forks of different frequencies. I knew that coudn't be right, because anyone that isn't deaf should be able to hear that, so I popped in my headphones.

The actual noise is bloody irritating, like an old tube television[edit]Old tube TVs tend to produce high-pitched whines.. presumably at the pitch of the CRT... but don't quote me[/edit]. I checked it out in a couple sound programs, and it's morphing between what looks like a saw wave and a square wave and back again, but it's hard to tell, thanks to the low sample rate of the mp3. It's probably supposed to be a sine wave but was recorded or encoded out-of-sinc with the file, though it doesn't really matter what waveform it's in at that frequency anyway... it's not like the harmonics are that audible. It's fluctuating between 15500hz ~ 16500hz, what's supposed to be the limit of human hearing.

I've uploaded a clean cut of a single saw waveform from the BBC clip, made mono for anyone who wishes to make their ears bleed. I left it in wave format at 44.1khz, the original samplerate. Unfortunately, using only the one waveform leaves the sound at that single frequency... 16khz in this case.

[edit]If you're listening on speakers, as opposed to headphones, try plugging one ear, and moving your head from side to side. If you can't hear it, you may not be able to hear 16khz.[/edit]

Feel the pain.

Tell you what: if I hear that garbage around any "local retailers" in my city, I'll be sure to leave my own brand of "positive feedback". I already have to put up with it from people who actually use the devices as mosquito repulsors (though, now that I think about it, I could disable them and the hearing-disabled owners wouldn't even know about it).