1,2-dichloropropane

kyle32123

If you add propane to chlorine will they react and expode without any ignition source?

I believe the end result should be 1,2-dichloropropane and H2

Ive heard that chlorine and propane will explode simply when you put them together in the same container. Is this true? Or do you need to ignite them with a heat source? I also heard that even sunlight will make this mixture explode.

CH3CH2CH3 + Cl2 ---> CH3CHClCH2Cl + H2

I think most Chlorination / Halogenisation reactions need a UV source to initiate the reaction, as it breaks up the Chlorine molecules into Clorine atoms and then allows the Chlorine to bond.

I know for a fact that the reaction between Chlorine and Hydrogen occurs in presence of sunlight and can produce temperatures in excess of 100 degrees C. Considering that, I suspect the reaction with Propane would be more violent...

I believe the end result should be 1,2-dichloropropane and H2

Besides the 1,2-dichloropropane you will have many other chlorinated products. You will have single substituted products and multiple substituted products. For each molecule of Cl2, one H-atom is replaced by a chlorine atom, the H-atom and remain Cl-atom combine to HCl.

In practice, the mixing of an alkane and a halogen is completely useless for making pure substitution products.