would it die?

TimbaLanD

It would, ignoring air resistance, be moving at some 80m/s, which isn't shabby.

It would, in fact, just go splat.

Taking air resistance into account, what YT said. It has an extremely significant effect for critters of that size.

in a Vacuum certainly Splat! you only need to ask any biker how many bugs go splat on his/her visor, or even car windscreens and that`s no where near 200mph.

With air, you`de find the bug would be quite some distance from the base of the tower too, in fact spiders often exploit this as a means of transportation.

if you knew how much the ant weighed and the exact height you drop the ant from you can figure out the force of impact!

"College" Physics 101 for retards who want to pursue medicine.

You'd also need to know how long the impact would take.

No you wouldn't to know time to determine the force.

and I don't think jello would do anything at that velocity. Surface tension.

I can say for a Certainty that Jakari isn`t given to saying such things without GOOD reason, and am equaly certain that he knows f=ma and all that stuff too.

so maybe he`s factoring in the length of time for the drop, as to whether the ant will reach "terminal velocity" etc...

perhaps Braking forces of an ants structure and thus slowing it down to sub critical velocities before fatal damage is caused?

I`ve no idea, but watch this space, he`ll be correct!

Impact on what?

The ground?

so maybe he`s factoring in the length of time for the drop

The time taken to stop, from when it hits.

If it stops instantaneously upon touching the ground, the force would be infinite.

Force x (change in time) = mass x (change in velocity). (This is the definition of an impulse, derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion; a Force times the time over which it occurs, or integrated in the case of a non-constant force)

Mass x (change in velocity) is a value you can find out from the above information (the change in velocity will be equal to 80m/s, for example) and the mass of an ant, which can be easily estimated.

However, you do not know the time it takes to impact, so you can find the impulse it undergoes - but you can't find the force.

No you wouldn't to know time to determine the force.

I'm afraid you do, unless you think that the force isn't proportional to the rate of change of velocity with respect to time. Newton II and all that jazz.

Well, the OP stated "o" air resistance, which I take as a vacuum so terminal velocity would not occur.

If you would take into account the presence of "air", then I believe a terminal velocity can be reached, given the weight and surface area (contributing to a friction coef) as well as surface texture, as well as how the ant is postured as it falls (balled up or legs out). An if we really get minute with the details, then temperature would play a apart as it would determine the density of air. Humidity too I think would play a part and maybe time of day,....wow..i can really start building up the variables here no?

All in all, we gonna have a dead ant.

I'm afraid you do' date=' unless you think that the force isn't proportional to the rate of change of velocity [i']with respect to time[/i]. Newton II and all that jazz.

but..that's gravity!

ahh..newtonian physics..the old days.

The time taken to stop' date=' from when it hits.

If it stops [i']instantaneously[/i] upon touching the ground, the force would be infinite.

However, you do not know the time it takes to impact, so you can find the impulse it undergoes - but you can't find the force.

aha, that`s would the Second part I mentioned then: " perhaps Braking forces of an ants structure and thus slowing it down to sub critical velocities before fatal damage is caused?"

it Had to be One of the Two :)

so in summary, yes the ant would be dead if there were no air resistance, and jakiri is right in saying that you cant calculate the actual force without knowing how long it takes the ant to splatter completely flat on the pavement?

Yes, well, sort of.

It would, most likely, be fine if air resistance was taken into account, however.

it would be fine, trust me, I`ve done it with ants, spiders and flies (in plastic containers so they couldn`t fly away) non of them died or even got injured in anyway noticable. I`ve even done Rocket launches with insect payloads a few of those DID die though.

discounting the Rockets however, the plain Drop was from 120 feet up onto tarmac, the ants were done in handfulls so as not to lose the landing point, maybe 120 foot wasn`t high enough, but yes, all those we saw lived perfectly :)

it would be fine' date=' trust me, I`ve done it with ants, spiders and flies (in plastic containers so they couldn`t fly away) non of them died or even got injured in anyway noticable. I`ve even done Rocket launches with insect payloads a few of those DID die though.

discounting the Rockets however, the plain Drop was from 120 feet up onto tarmac, the ants were done in handfulls so as not to lose the landing point, maybe 120 foot wasn`t high enough, but yes, all those we saw lived perfectly :)[/quote']

flies in plastic containers survived... How big were then containers?

just big enough to fit a fly into, the 1`st one we tried was the cap off a pen, but drinking straws cut into half inch lengths with sellotape over the ends is what we chose to use as it was easier to get the fly back out after.