Mona Lisa

pHoToN_gUrL

Um..some guy named Leonardo (of no historical importance) painted a chick he knew? By the way, In italian the mona lisa is called "the giaconda". First learned that while standing in line at the luevre, way back in the day.

First of all its a work of leanardo da vinci.. a very famous painter.

Then whereever you stand it seems like its eyes follow you.

It has no eyebrows i think..

There is a lot of controversy as people believe its a guy or something like that.

From what I hear, it's so famous because Da Vinci said it was his best work... he beefed it up a lot, apparently.
I heard he carried it around with him everywhere for a while, whether that's some lame myth or not I know not. I always thought the damned thing was ugly.

I heard he carried it around with him everywhere for a while, whether that's some lame myth or not I know not. I always thought the damned thing was ugly.

I heard the same thing, and must agree with you somewhat.

Artistically it was that every time you visited the facial (or smile I cant remember) expression changed. That and it's suppose to be a man or something. Then there is always the realism or naturalism.

That and it's suppose to be a man or something.
himself in some peculiar way is what I heard.

As for it being of some mistress he knocked up, I think historians are fairly confident that he preferred more... masculine... consorts.

Yeah a self portrait of himself with feminine features drawing out some sort of balance between the sexes.

I've always liked art, I find other paintings better though, not saying the mona lisa isn't great.

I am sure 300 years from now people will be stumped as to why people like "fiddy cent" was so popular. That would be a true mystery. Atleast the Mona Lisa had some artistic merit.

IIRC there are actually 4 "Mona Lisa"s. The one in the Louvre is the last of the line and the most detailed, finished, of the 4.

Reasons for it's popularity.

1. Leonardo thought it his greatest work. (And who are we to argue?)

2. The eyes have the unusual quality of following you.

3. The smile is most enigmatic. Is she smiling or not? For an artist to deliver this effect is very rare.

4. Quite simply it is a work of a genius and genius fascinates us mere mortals.

Having said that, I don't think much of it as a painting either. Doesn't mean I won't go out of my way to see it if I get to Paris though. (Genius fascinates this mere mortal too.:D )