Fluid Dynamics as a Classical Field Theory

ajb

Does anyone know any references about fluid dynamics as a field theory? In particluar I wanted to know more about the symmetries of fluid dynamics and possible Lagrangians.

The only references I know are HEPPH-0407101 and papers by the same people. Are there any others out there that I don't know?

Cheers

:)

If you are into some academic rigor, check out almost anything by Clifford Truesdell. Handbuch der Physik III/1 (that's book 1 in volume #3, oh and don't worry, that volume is in English) is just about everything you could ever want. The article is "The Classical Field Theories" by Truesdell and Toupin. Volume III of Handbuch der Physik is edited by Flugge.

Truesdell's The Non-Linear Field Theories of Mechanics is more modern (the third edition was published posthumously from his notes in earlier editions), and his Introduction to the Mechanics of Fluids is innocent enough sounding, but is definately at least a graduate level text. But that Truesdell and Toupin reference will probably be more than enough.