student responce

lnblackard

Hello, I teach 6ht grade science in a small southeastern Illinois community. My students wanted me to post a question and see what kind of responses we could get. In our science class we cover such topics as cells, atoms, physical and chemical properties, simple machines, and the scientific method. They were wondering is this is typical of all 6th grade science. If not, what kind on topics do you cover in your 6th grade science classes? They would be happy to get as many responses as possible. Thanks

lnblackard said in post #1 :

Hello, I teach 6ht grade science in a small southeastern Illinois community. My students wanted me to post a question and see what kind of responses we could get. In our science class we cover such topics as cells, atoms, physical and chemical properties, simple machines, and the scientific method. They were wondering is this is typical of all 6th grade science. If not, what kind on topics do you cover in your 6th grade science classes? They would be happy to get as many responses as possible. Thanks

Howdy! I don't remember clearly what I did in 6th grade science class. I'm sure it was some sort of general science overview, as most pre-highschool science courses are. Do you follow a textbook? If so, is it a county or statewide book? If you follow a textbook it is probably a statewide or national standard.

If you freestyle the class, then you seem to be on track. I would emphasize the scientific method, and the fundementals of our world, which is what you're doing.

yeah, that seems to be what i did as well. (seems so long ago now). I remember we disected a shark -- that was kinda cool.

Looking back at it now, i really enjoyed my 6th grade science course. One of the better ones i took. There are probably a few things that i would try to do differently if i were teaching that course now. (or course, the course was really good anyways)

1) I think it would be cool to talk about the scientific revolutions that have happened in the past. (ie. mendle and genetics, einstien and relativity, bohr hiesenburge and schordenger and quantum mechanics, Werner and coordination chemistry, ect.) I think it would be good to cover these topics and really emphasize the changes that happened durring these areas. I think this would help young students view science as an exciting and dynamic process, instead of just some static dogma that they have to learn.

2) I also think it is important to talk about scince in the real world. Give examples -- lots of em -- as to how people use science in their everyday lives. For instance, i can't remember if you cover polarity in 6th grade, but if you do, this would be a great time to discuss how detergent works. And talk about why it is designed the way it is (long non-polar chain attached to a polar group). Sutff like that lets kids appreciate science even when class is not in. Of course my teacher did this in 6th grade. I just think there is always room for more. :D

Yeah, but over all, it sounds like you are covering the good stuff :D

My younger brother is in grade 6 right now. He's just finished his fall term, and they learned about ecosystems, biotic classification (there's another name for this, i just forgot it...), and simple acids & bases.

In Singapore, (if 6th grade is equal to 11 years old)

We learn the basics of everything. Chemistry, Biology and Physics all combined together. Rather, we do lots of practical in the lab. Well, i would say i enjoyed practical lessons then theory ones. Hands-on is very important and essential step to learning!

I totally agree with VendingMenace dissection is really cool! I only had anatomy lessons when i was like 14 years old. I dissected a mice. It was really pathetic in size.

I think that visits to National Parks, Botanic Gardens are pretty useful too. Getting colse to nature. Yeah, why not?

Those topics mentioned are like topics topics that i am taking now. And, i am like about 15 yrs? Man, got to do lots of catching up. :)

P.S

Oh, i think astronomy lessons are pretty cool too you know! :P

sixth grade is probably the only grade next to kintergarden that I don't remember, sorry

I do know that it was extremely generalized though, barely touching on just about anything related to science (doing a few reports and stuff on scientists)

at that sort of age they should have a reasonable comprehension of any simple explainations you provide, the key would be to generate the curiosity firstly, then provide explaination and pointers towards other sources of information for when you`re NOT there to answer them. a great scientist once said science isn`t about remebering all the facts and figures in ones head, but knowing where to FIND the answers (it`s a poor paraphrase, but meaning`s intact).

perhaps just a 10 minute session at the beginning of each class to disscus current scientific news, and made intriguing enough to invite curiosity and questions.

I wouldn`t spoon feed them information, only enough to motivate them into seeking further answers themselves.

Oh yeah, and the Odd Science fair project of each individuals choosing is always great fun! :)

Stundents tend to respond best to the hand-on learning rather than to lectures. My sixth-grade teacher liked to work on his computer while we students read from the book and filled out work-sheets. I don't remember anything about that class.