RealPlayer

YT2095

I was Stupid enough to DL realplayer a few months ago, found it didn`t have all the codecs as I already had in WinMedia Player and so I deleted it (uninstall and then the add Remove thingy).

BUT, it`s renamed a good 1000+ MP3 and movie clip files in a way mediaPlayer can`t use, even the Icon next to them has changed.

In effect my systems been altered in a way they had no frakin Right to do!

How do I change them all back?

Windows media player sucks.

klmcodec116.exe put that into google, it is about a 20MB file with every codec under the sun, it also has windows media player classic which is the most basic media player on earth, but it doesn't do anything you don't want it to.

so How does that help me rename all my files????

How would re-naming files mean a media player can't use them...........

Unless it has changed the file format and then download that and you can change the file format to whatever you like, probally take a few hours to do though.

i've had this problem on 98se before.

go to tools -> options -> File types in WMP

click select all(assuming this is the only media player you want) and then click apply. should be solved.

if you only want it to play certain files then you'll need to select those from the list yourself.

ok , download and install windows media player

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/9Series/default.aspx

Then, after the installation, launch the media player and go to Tools -> Options

Click on the "file types" tab, and select all. Then Apply the settings. It should all go back to normal. It's also possible that during installation it allows you to confiugre the filetypes so you might be able to do it there too.

realplayer sucks, and is cheeky, but it's not usually this bad. You did download it from the realplayer website, yeah?

When you say renamed... do you mean that they no longer end with .mp3?

If they do still end with .mp3, then you should just have to reassociate WMP with .mp3s, which might involve some registry editing, depending on how the win98 user interface is (can't rememer to be honest).

A quick and dirty way of doing it would probably be to uninstall and reinstall windows media player.

sounds to me RP might have imported the files into its library, but converted them along the way . . . . like itunes does when it finds WMA - if youcan't find windows media player then reinstall it see if that works - elsefind out what formatt they have been changed too and start looking for a tool to change them back

sounds to me RP might have imported the files into its library, but converted them along the way . . . . like itunes does when it finds WMA - if youcan't find windows media player then reinstall it see if that works - elsefind out what formatt they have been changed too and start looking for a tool to change them back

I posted a link that can change them to any format you want, don't see why it should do that anyway though, however real player is awful.

Well well well....!

I`ve only JUST managed to get back online as a result of doing that, it`s taken out and overwriten a lot of drivers etc...

Very Reminiscent of the sarar Virus in operation, all loads well until it "sniffs" and net conection and the whole system freezes :(

I had to wait half a day to find out that F8 is the key to use to boot into Safe-Mode.

I`ve had to scanreg.exe/restore back 3 days, NOW I`m back online, still have the same prob though.

Damn I hate Micro$oft!

ok ' date=' download and install windows media player

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/9Series/default.aspx

Then, after the installation, launch the media player and go to Tools -> Options

Click on the "file types" tab, and select all. Then Apply the settings. It should all go back to normal. It's also possible that during installation it allows you to confiugre the filetypes so you might be able to do it there too.

that`s the Site that screwed it all up, that and the 6 "Critical Updates for security" it sent too :(

In Windows Explorer, hold down the shift key and right click on one of the files. Select "Open With..." and you will get a dialog to choose what program to open the file with. Choose Media Player from the list or browse for Media Player. Check the box at t he bottom of the dialog box that says something like, "Use for all files of this type" (not sure, it's been years since I used '98) and hit OK. It should then set all files of that type to open with Media Player.