y= mx + c

Ann_M

Hi all,

Im trying to find some questions for students to carry out as part of an assesment, therefore i need them to be solid ie, hard.

The questions need to be related to

y = mx + c , perpendicular, inverse functions and possibly simultaneous equations.

Could any one help me out please,

Thanks in advance

What kind of age range are you after? If you're setting it for say 15-16 year olds then obviously calculus and things like that can't be involved. From the y = mx + c argument type thing, you could ask them to do something like prove that the equation of a line through a fixed point (x1, y1) with gradient m is (y - y1) = m(x-x1), or get them to find the equation of a line that passes through 2 fixed points.

More information required :)

Lines a, b, and c lie on the same coordinate plane. Line a is perpendicular to line b and interscets it at (3,6). Line b is perpendicular to line c, which is the graph of y=2x+3.

a) Write the equations of lines a and b.

b) Graph the three lines

c) WHat is the relationship of lines a and c.

:)

Ann_M said in post #5 :

I am after questions for university students ie. 18+, where they will have to research some of the topics in depth for themselves regarding the questions.

btw quacks thanks for that ques.

I think most Unversity students are req'd to know introductory Calculus.

Go for some calculus topics; it's lots of fun & has plenty to research on;

;)

For easier stuff, check out limits, theorem's related to limits, continuity, etc.

dave

Out of curiosity, why did you say 15-16 year olds obviosly can't do calculus? NSX, you inplied this also. Am I wrong in wishing math class moved quicker each year rather than slower? I am just frustrated right now because my pre-calc class has been stuck on graphing basic rational functions since the begging of the year. Are you are telling me I will have to take calculus for the next few years?

Ann_M said in post #5 :

I am after questions for university students ie. 18+, where they will have to research some of the topics in depth for themselves regarding the questions.

btw quacks thanks for that ques.

Ask them something to the effect of how that equation could be used in their future field. Have them create a problem, and then find the solution using the equation.

Thats what my calculus teacher did, seems like a good idea, though you might be somewhat limited by the equation you're using.

jordan said in post #7 :

dave

Out of curiosity, why did you say 15-16 year olds obviosly can't do calculus? NSX, you inplied this also. Am I wrong in wishing math class moved quicker each year rather than slower? I am just frustrated right now because my pre-calc class has been stuck on graphing basic rational functions since the begging of the year. Are you are telling me I will have to take calculus for the next few years?

So I presume you're a 15-16 year old right now?

hehe

Actually, pre-calc is really important. It lays a good foundation for what's to come. I think it's amazing that you have a whole year to spend on pre-calculus. I didn't; as a result, I'm learning alot of new stuff that was supposed to be material already covered (ie. Last year, i thought dy/dx was just a symbol for the derivative of y w/RT x. Now with differentials, i know it's a small segment of y divided by a small segment of x..)

Enjoy it jordan while you still can!!!

Get high marks!

hooray!

:)

ugh, now i have to go do some volumes of revolutions

:rolleyes:

I'm not saying all 15-16 year olds can't do calculus - I know personally of quite a few that can - but the majority of them probably can't. Making sure you have a fairly solid foundation to build on before you start doing calculus is something that is absolutely essential. Trust me on this one, because I had to play catch-up bigtime when it came to A-levels. So stick at it, it pays off in the end :)

A good question would perhaps be something like proving that if a mirror takes the form of a hyperbola then all parallel beams of light which are also parallel to the x-axis of the mirror meet at the focus of the hyperbola. This is a fairly researchable type problem, but I daresay the proof is widely available elsewhere on the net.

I'll try and dig out some of my old questions from around here somewhere and get back to you.

How about "how does 'y = mx + c' relate to the Arrhenius equation?"

In context using Arrhenius:

lnk = constant – EA/R.1/T

or transposed:

lnk = -EA/R.1/T + constant

The student(s) should be able to increase the research methods and expand the mathematical work. This should be ideal for (18+) mature students. Good Luck

How about "how does 'y = mx + c' relate to the Arrhenius equation?"

sounds good but wat is a Arrhenius equation and wat is it related to?

I'll try and dig out some of my old questions from around here somewhere and get back to you.

thanks Dave, im looking for questions that will increase their knowledge in the behaviour of the functions. I liked the question u suggested.