Taste? Is it in the genes?

gene

Well, something popped up while i was having my dinner. My father and I had totally different preference on the dish- curry chicken. I found it very tasty but my dad totally disagrees. So, i was wondering does our taste have anything to do with ur genes? Is it encoded or is it cultivated by the environment? However, taste and prefernce is such an individualistic uniquesness that i sometimes wonder is there is some kind of relation with our genes?

Is there a gene for taste and preference?

Hmm, I don't know the science behind it, but yeah, your tastes are supposed to grow more "sophisticated" as you get older. I really hate onions, but my dad and mom both loved them when they were my age. And my brother doesn' t mind them. I doubt highly that our tastes for specific dishes (like curry chicken) run in the family, but perhaps our preferense for sweet, salty, sour, and bitter foods do.

our own bodies will also dictate a preferance or a "fancy" for a certain food group also although usualy transient until it gets the nourishment it needs.

there have been many documented cases were this will also effect dreams! :)

it`s sugested that if you dream of eating a certain type of food, that it`s your bodys way of telling the brain to tell you, that your lacking in a certain mineral or vitamin etc...

how true this actualy is SCIENTIFICALY I`m not sure, but I have my own anecdotal evidence to support this as does almost eveyone I know.

at the risk of sounding metaphysical, it`s often wise to "listen" to your body. do as it says, and if you fancy a certain food even after you`ve just eaten, then eat it!, there might be a reason for it!

of course,,, I`m not advocating obesity! before anyone jumps on the bandwaggon. just simply that if you fancy a bowl of fresh green runner beans in a bowl with some butter, then eat it!

never eat untill you`re "stuffed" thats no good for you, just eat untill you`re no longer hungry, that`s the best way :)

and yes, Chicken Curry RULES! :))

• 3 weeks later...

Certainly the body can dictate appetities to a degree, depending on what it needs, but I doubt very much there is a genetic basis for the individual's palate. That would exert no significant selective pressure I can think of.

A predeliction to certain groups such as sugars might be advantageous, as huahe claimed, but I'd be quite dubious of that until I saw the results of some studies in that area.

Actually... i think right.. environment too play a part..

Let's say we have a group of ppl eating curry chicken.. all of them eating the same dish and you happen to see with that group..

There is a high chance that you would conform...

Well, there is more like psychology now... :D

gene said in post #1 :

Well, something popped up while i was having my dinner. My father and I had totally different preference on the dish- curry chicken. I found it very tasty but my dad totally disagrees. So, i was wondering does our taste have anything to do with ur genes? Is it encoded or is it cultivated by the environment? However, taste and prefernce is such an individualistic uniquesness that i sometimes wonder is there is some kind of relation with our genes?

Is there a gene for taste and preference?

Unlikely. Whilst, as Sayo says, the body can make its needs known through 'urges' for particular food types, this is very basic and has no real influence on general (long-term) 'taste and preference'. These are learned. If they were hereditary, wouldn't it have been more likely that you and your father would have agreed on the chicken curry? After all, where did you get your genes? How does your mother feel about chicken curry?