Cleaning out a laptop keyboard

I've noticed that I have a load of cat hair and various bits stuck under the keys of my keyboard. I've tried the various air-blasters and such, and none of them can get the hair - it's firmly stuck around the base of the keys. Is there any way I can pop some keys off to pull it out, or will I just have to get a pair of very fine tweezers?

the keys do pop off, although they can be somewhat more of a pain to get back on right than desktop keyboards. also, depending on the keyboard, i think you can damage them if you do it wrong.

you might be better off with the tweezers, or maybe a needle or something.

On most laptop keyboards if you take the key off, you're not going to get it back on.

While I've never done this to my computer, just go to any computer store that little kids go to (Best Buy, for example) and take a look at the laptops. Note the keys that are ripped off of them.

It may depend upon the type of laptop, though. I recomend a tweaser and a magnifying glass.

if you look under the key their is little tabs holding the scissor hinge together. They stay on with the springing action of the keys switch. If you get under there with a small flat head screwdriver, like for eyeglasses, thebn you can carefuly pry them of. Then to put them back on you simple place the key ontop of the switch and depress and slide or something. I have a laptop and i knoticed the same thing. I took everysingle key off and cleaned under it. Since i was do it, i took all the keys and lubricated every keys scissor hinge with a drying teflon lubricant. Its llike if not better than brand new now. Its not that hard.

On most laptops you can remove one or two screws from the back and the whole keyboard will pop out...

If I remember how to clean a laptop keyboard correctly, this is the most common procedure instead of popping off each key.

If I remember how to clean a laptop keyboard correctly, this is the most common procedure instead of popping off each key.

how would that help? on all the laptops i have taken apart that just leaves you with a keyboard with a metal back. same access issues, just not attached to a computer.

or do you mean to just replace it?

how would that help? on all the laptops i have taken apart that just leaves you with a keyboard with a metal back. same access issues, just not attached to a computer.

It still makes it easier to work on once it's seperarted from the rest of the computer. With the keyboard free where I can let the runoff go somewhere other than the rest of the computer, I just spray them down generously with contact cleaner and use an old toothbrush to scrub any spots on the keys. A ca of compressed air usually finishes the job nicely.