Macbook or PC?

stadedelafou

Hello!

Could you please give me an advice?

I'm looking for a new laptop computer, and as a student, i don'y have a lot of money ( 1100$ is my maximum ). My needs are quite basics : i don't play video games but for my work, i spend a lot a time on the internet and typing reports.

As a consequence, my eyes are set upon the brand new MacBook. However it is not settled yet.

Do you think some other laptop matches better with my expectations for a lesser cost, or is the MacBook the perfect one ? ( I need a lot of battery because it takes a long time to travel across France in train!)

Thx

the most cost-effective way would probably be to get a bare-back PC-laptop with a large battery and whach a linux distro and open office on it (thus saving money on the OS and office suite).

I doubt you'd have to pay anywhere near $1,100 for a laptop with similarish specs as the macbook if you do it that way (tho i'm not too up to speed with laptop prices... i prefer to steer clear of 'em 'cos theyre expensive)

Having recently bought a MacBook myself, I'm very happy with it. The battery life is as expected (roughly 5 hours depending on use), the supposed heat issues are nowhere near as bad as some have suggested, and in general it's a very nice laptop.

I'd imagine you can get a similarly specced PC for a similar or slightly lower price but if you are considering the MacBook, I can't say you could go far wrong as long as you are using it as a Mac OSX laptop rather than a solely Windows one. While with Boot Camp etc, it will run Win XP etc, the keyboard layout and selection of keys isn't really ideal for use on Windows.

You mention you are a student, have you looked into the educational discounts one can get on the Apple Store? You might be able to get it for alot less than $1100.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello!

Could you please give me an advice?

I'm looking for a new laptop computer' date=' and as a student, i don'y have a lot of money ( 1100$ is my maximum ). My needs are quite basics : i don't play video games but for my work, i spend a lot a time on the internet and typing reports.

As a consequence, my eyes are set upon the brand new MacBook. However it is not settled yet.

Do you think some other laptop matches better with my expectations for a lesser cost, or is the MacBook the perfect one ? ( I need a lot of battery because it takes a long time to travel across France in train!)

Thx[/quote']

I just Got one !!! They are a buetiful machine!!!

Just a tip. Dont buy bootcamp Yet. If you want a pc buy the mac!!

TI-83 calculator (or other) with keyboard attachment.

If I could go back in time, then I would have bought a really nice calculator with that keyboard.

Think about this:

Laptops take batteries that take hours to recharge; calculators need a few AAs or AAAs. Laptops take batteries that can cost about $100; Texas Instrument calculators take batteries that cost around $5.00 USD.

Laptops need an external power source. Calculators run on batteries. A person needs a special spot in the classroom to use the power-cord. A person simply needs inexpensive batteries for the calculator.

Laptops are a hot commodity to steal at schools and can sell for a very high price. Calculators can be stolen, but a the owner could always buy another, because he or she has money left over from not buying the expensive laptop.

Laptops are heavy; the calculators are not heavy.

Trust me. I would have chosen the calculator and keyboard setup.

My laptop has broken a few times. I wasn't happy about the times it broke. I had the thing replaced multiple times.

Imagine being on a trip. You wouldn't be able to power the laptop after the five hours are up. But a calculator and keyboard can always have new batteries put into it as if it were a Gameboy. People talk about laptops being the greatest thing on earth and a bag of chips, but they aren't.

I've thought about selling my laptop more than once. I rather have an inexpensive desktop computer and the calculator with keyboard setup.

Take into account there are more available sites and programs and freewares for PC.

Plus.. linux, bub.. linux rules...

I always found it better to utilize and control, and much better to use in our current internet-freeware-available world, to use a PC.

But mac isn't bad. Your choice, really :)

~moo

Take into account there are more available sites and programs and freewares for PC.

Plus.. linux' date=' bub.. linux rules...

I always found it better to utilize and control, and much better to use in our current internet-freeware-available world, to use a PC.

But mac isn't bad. Your choice, really :)

~moo[/quote']

I'm with this. I'm getting used to Macs for use with audio, but I wish the industy used a PC standard (the old argument is that's wishing PCs were more stable...but that is up for debate). The amount of free stuff available for PC is crazy, though strictly as a student, I don't know how much of an advantage you have with freeware.

Openoffice.org though, mate. Keep that in mind. Don't blow $500 on an office suite when you have a perfect free alternative that's compatible with almost any document file format I can think of.

Dont buy bootcamp Yet. If you want a pc buy the mac!!

What do you mean 'buy bootcamp'? Its a free 83mb download.

Just go to http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ to download

By the way, after many years of PC experience in my case, when i recently bought my mac mini, it blew my mind away. It truly is a 'beautiful' machine and handles very well. I don't even worry at all about malware or viruses anymore; i was paranoid about them on my PC - just shows how much confidence I have in it.

The applications built in are amazing for working use. To be honest, I favour the macbook.