USB key - size vs. price

ecoli

Obviously, the more information a USB key can hold, the more expensive it is. But, I was wondering if it really costs that much more to manufacture larger keys. Physically, they seem to be the same size to me.

You've got to cram more of the Flash chip in that space, so it's bound to be more expensive.

Just like how a laptop can have the same specs as a desktop, but be more expensive, solely because it's harder to design something that can fit all those components into such a small case.

but, if you've already got, say 512mb of memory available, how much more would it be to make double that flash chip? In terms of material cost, I can't see why it would cost that much more.

If the 512MB takes up the same form factor, you've got to make everything half as big for a 1GB one, which would cost alot more in terms of dev (I know this isn't 100% true, but extream advantage)...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
If the 512MB takes up the same form factor, you've got to make everything half as big for a 1GB one, which would cost alot more in terms of dev (I know this isn't 100% true, but extream advantage)...

Given a set of steppers, it is always 100 percent true. The pricing model for IC fabrication is almost identical to that in the printing and press industry.