Argh!! Get that FRIGGIN SONG outta my HEAD!!

The Peon

Ok someone PLEASE explain to me why the heck we can't stop thinking about a stupid song? It keeps playing over and over and over and over and over ad-infinitum in our head and doesn't leave. And to make it worse, it's always a crappy song. Hell, I can remember one time a few years back I could not get that stupid Britney Spears song "Hit me baby" out of my damn head :-( . So my question is, why does the brain decide to torture the being so?

I observe it gets especially bad for me when I lack sleep. The problem is that sometimes it also prevents me from getting sleep.

What has worked for me in the past:

1. suddenly sprinting a quarter mile down the street

2. holding my breath underwater for as long as possible

3. singing in Japanese

Hope this helps!

I blame radiostations(and music channels if you watch them) for this. It's them that play the same crap over and over and over and over......................................................................again.

Try listening to an even more catchy and irritating song, I recomend Can't Touch This by MC Hammer. See? Your already thinking about it, in a few minutes you wont be able to remember what the song you had in your head previously was.

No no no! But thanks. The question was why does the brain do this, not how to "fix" it. And this is a science question, why was it moved to general discussion? I would like to know, in bio-chemical or psycho-analytical terms why our brain does this? Why dont we repeat a color in our mind, or a sound? Why is it always a friggin annoying song and why do this to begin with?

In that case, perhaps when a song invigorates you, you register that feeling of disdain in your memory much more clearly than when you listen to a song you like. Songs you like may please you but it may just pass by if you get what I mean. I don't know, it's just a suggestion. Perhaps you involuntarily hear crap songs on the radio for example as I suggested, and in doing so you hear them more often than songs you like. This makes them come to the forefront of you memory behind songs you like. Actually I don't think it's something with this deep an explanation, as these things seem to come on a whim.

My only advice, is when you get to the line 'hit me baby' think of hitting Britney square on in the face, and the music grinds to a halt...might not work, but it's a nice thought nevertheless.