the HARDEST compound!!!!!!!!

chuinhen

As an interesting side note,

I came accross an article that pointed out that contrary to popular conception, diamonds at or near earth's surface will, after a suitably immense period of time, become graphite, which is the most stable form of carbon.

This does perhaps imply that although soft, graphite is more durable.

As an interesting side note' date='

I came accross an article that pointed out that contrary to popular conception, diamonds at or near earth's surface will, after a suitably immense period of time, become graphite, which is the most stable form of carbon.

This does perhaps imply that although soft, graphite is more [u']durable.[/u]

nope, just that it has the lowest potential energy. you'll get more energy out from burning diamonds thant the same mass of graphite.

I agree with gcol, but also with insane_alien. If diamond indeed turns to graphite in thousands or even millions of years, then it is thermodynamically unstable and then the graphite indeed is more durable on the (VERY) long run. I do not think this is of any practical concern, but theoretically it is important.

It is known that KClO3 also is thermodynamically unstable and that it disproportionates to KCl and KClO4. This reaction indeed occurs on heating of KClO3, but at room temperature this reaction is so very very slow, that KClO3 can be stored for thousands of years with only very slight or even no measurable contamination of the compound with KCl and KClO4. Probably gcol found a similar thing on diamond.

Insane_alien also is right. Graphite has a (somewhat) lower potential energy and hence more energy is contained in the diamond lattice. Burning of diamond then indeed produces more energy. Also that is of no practical concern, because of the very slow reaction of diamond, but theoretically there is a point.

• 4 weeks later...