Wax

encipher

Hi,

I was doing some experiments with wax and now that I'm done I want to clean everything up. Problem is my beakers are coated with wax and its a pain to get the stuff off. I tried scraping it and heating it. I can't seem to find a way to get the beaker clean of that stuff. Anyone know a solvent that can dissolve wax? or an effecient method of cleaning up my glassware?

Thanks

Edit: Oh yeah, It's candle wax in case it matters.

agreed, heating the white spirits until the wax melts in it makes a pourable liquid that`s easy to remove, and hot soapy water after will do the rest.

also (but I`m not 100% certain) I think wax Should saponify in a soln of NaOH or KOH if warm, effectively turning your wax into Soap, that would come in handy for smaller glass ware that you maynot be able to get a bottle brush into etc...

another way that would work for a beaker or some test tubes would be to fill the whole thing with molten wax, put a wire in it with a knot in the end, and shove it in the freezer.

wax shrinks really well, and so you could easily pull the lot out in one go and leave it perfectly clean :)